Irandis Render

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Irandis Render

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Today the UCS Irandis, a long range interstellar tug. Inspired by the MV Blue Marlin, the ship is used for transporting other vessels across large interstellar distances. Jobs would include transporting half completed hulls from one shipyard to another, or recovering battle-damaged ships that can't propel themselves any more.

One of the few ships that are "variable geometry", with the twin hulls able to ratchet out from the center to allow larger ships to be towed.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Irandis Render

Post by Mikey »

Are those couples inside the arms magnetic, or locally gravitic, or somesuch? Also, how is that pivot point reinforced?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:Are those couples inside the arms magnetic, or locally gravitic, or somesuch? Also, how is that pivot point reinforced?
I go back and forth on the coupling mechanism. For now they're just generic tractor beam style emitters, but I'm toying with the idea of making them some kind of superstrong cable filament gun, with a head that attaches to the target. Not unlike the NX-01's system.

Which pivot point do you mean?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Which pivot point do you mean?
On the crosspiece that traverses between and connects the two hulls, there is a built-up piece that I'm guessing is the fulcrum for the variable geometry of the "arms" as you mentioned. Is there some IU super-science reason for the strength of that joint, or is it just simply built right to handle the stress it undergoes?
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ah, no. The built up piece is a hull that contains the living quarters for the crew. The arms themselves slide in and out of the central bar driven by motors mounted on the bar - that's what the housings on either end of that central bar are, the motors that push the hull out.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Got it!
as Bull offed Custer