My Blender Render! (Kororra Class)

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Blender Render!

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Okay, I am working on a higher resolution version of the Kororra class - many more polygons. It's not finished yet, but I thought I would start posting what's done. Below is a gunnery director turret, used to scan targets and compute firecnotrol solutions for the little Mark 2 cannon.

I'm also sticking in some little men for scale in these pics... remember this ship is about three miles long! :)

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mark 2 turret. The improvement here is to the rifter on top - previously the red glow of a rifter was simply a flat panel whose material type was set to a red glowing material. I never liked it, because it just looked flat and solid. Now that panel has been changed to a faceted translucent frosted surface, with a faceted red glowing object behind it. It was very fiddly getting it just right but I really like how it came out. The idea is to make it look like an external casing with some powerful energy contained inside... looks good!

Note the man to scale... and bear in mid this is the equivalent of something like a twin Bofors anti-aircraft cannon. It's way, way too small to be of use against another battleship.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Now these can do real damage... two triple turrets for Mark 21 AMP cannon.

Remem, AMP means Antimatter/Matter Particle Cannon. So a single cannon has two barrels, one for the matter stream, one for the antimatter stream.

There's a man to scale... can you make him out?

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

What' you can't see the guy? Here he is!

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mark 21 gun director

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Better detailing on the propulsor, and again replacement of the flat even glowing panel with a frosted glass front with a glowing thing behind it. Not quite happy with this one still, but it's a big improvement and much closer to what it should look like. Note our tiny guy on the top...

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So I ballsed up the scale on my little guy in the above pics. I'm gonna edit them to put him in at the right scale...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Silex torpedo

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Okay, here's a giant render of the Kororra class battleship. Click to be taken to the full size version!

If you look just behind the rearward of the two big dorsal forward turrets, you can see a little person standing on the deck. :)

The full size image took approximately 13 hours to render, by far the biggest and longest render of a single frame I've ever done.

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Flyby :

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Nice. Having been aboard more than one Iowa-class battleship, I can say this definitely has that feel to it, especially in this motive render. That continuous parade of guns also gives the very intended impression that the sights of one of this ship's gunners is a bad place to be indeed.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah, couldn't agree more. The mental image I've always had of a real warship is that it would fly past and you'd just see rows of gun after gun lined up. A still picture is nice, but an animation like this really brings it home.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Now with a starry background and sound!

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

There is no sound in space :P
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Blender Render! (Kororra Class)

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So, started trying to teach myself how to paint an image over the surface of an object to give it a better texture. At the very beginning stages only, because this looks insanely complicated!

That's the standard Mark 2 AMP cannon.

I also decided to run up a lower resolution version. On most renders these things are like 50 pixels across, but the object is made up of over 22,500 faces. With around 100 on the Kororra class, you can imagine that the number of faces adds up fast!

So this version only has 910 faces :

It actually doesn't look all that different. Up close you can spot the parts that are less nice looking - mainly anything curved, which now looks more blocky. But from a distance the two are indistinguishable.