Rutger Hauer, ‘Blade Runner’ Co-Star, Dies at 75

In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Rutger Hauer, ‘Blade Runner’ Co-Star, Dies at 75

Post by Nutso »

https://variety.com/2019/film/obituarie ... 203278050/
Rutger Hauer, the versatile Dutch leading man of the ’70s who went on star in the 1982 “Blade Runner” as Roy Batty, died July 19 at his home in the Netherlands after a short illness. He was 75.

Hauer’s agent, Steve Kenis, confirmed the news and said that Hauer’s funeral was held Wednesday.

His most cherished performance came in a film that was a resounding flop on its original release. In 1982, he portrayed the murderous yet soulful Roy Batty, leader of a gang of outlaw replicants, opposite Harrison Ford in Ridley Scott’s sci-fi noir opus “Blade Runner.” The picture became a widely influential cult favorite, and Batty proved to be Hauer’s most indelible role.

Blade Runner was a confusing, pointless mess for me, until this Rutger Hauer improvised monologue. Because of that scene I interpreted this movie's point to be that life is about passing on your experiences to another. It made a lasting impression on 12 year old me.

The original monologue: I’ve known adventures, seen places you people will never see, I’ve been Offworld and back… frontiers! I’ve stood on the back deck of a blinker bound for the Plutition Camps with sweat in my eyes watching stars fight on the shoulder of Orion… I’ve felt wind in my hair, riding test boats off the black galaxies and seen an attack fleet burn like a match and disappear. I’ve seen it, felt it…! Link

And, the original script, before Hauer's rewrite, was: I’ve seen things… seen things you little people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion bright as magnesium… I rode on the back decks of a blinker and watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments… they’ll be gone. Link
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rutger Hauer, ‘Blade Runner’ Co-Star, Dies at 75

Post by Graham Kennedy »

"All those moments lost... like tears in rain" is one of the most evocative bits of imagery I've ever heard. RIP Rutger, you were a star.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

RIP. I loved him in The Hitcher.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

From the original Buffy film, to True Blood (the vampire grouping), my absolute favourite film was Ladyhawke. Gorgeous blonde man in armour on an even more gorgeous Freisan stallion named Goliath. Can't get better than that! May you travel to Valhalla on the wings of Valkyries, rest in peace and thanks for all the memories!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

The Hobo With a Shotgun is gone. Sad day.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-