Right. I'm putting my foot down now.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Right. I'm putting my foot down now.

Post by Captain Seafort »

me,myself and I wrote:IDK, the stats say 5 tubes on the Ent. I figure they wouldn't decrease the ammount of tubes, especially if there's a crisis brewing.
So long as they've got decent coverage (which the main four have) it doesn't really matter. Putting all the tubes in the main hull simplifies ammunition supply and improves protection for the magazines. Plus it means all maintainence can be done from the armouries, rather than having to get through the rollbar struts, which don't seem big enough for anything more than a Jefferies tube.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I definitly agree with that.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

me,myself and I wrote:4 forward tubes? I'd say 7 tubes is a little outrageous :-). How can we compromise on this?
Well, the NX-01 was launched without beam weapons, and was originally designed for only three phase cannons so it was going to use torpedoes as it's primary weapons. But we have seen 7 tubes as cannon, 4 forward on the saucer, 2 aft in the saucer, and the one between the nacelles. Maybe we could say that was a probe launcher that was converted to a tube on the NX-01 because of the Xindi mission.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
me,myself and I wrote:IDK, the stats say 5 tubes on the Ent. I figure they wouldn't decrease the ammount of tubes, especially if there's a crisis brewing.
So long as they've got decent coverage (which the main four have) it doesn't really matter. Putting all the tubes in the main hull simplifies ammunition supply and improves protection for the magazines. Plus it means all maintainence can be done from the armouries, rather than having to get through the rollbar struts, which don't seem big enough for anything more than a Jefferies tube.
Point Conceded. So 4 tubes? 2 fore 2 aft? We can say that they needed room for the Laser Weapons tech...? or 3 fore 3 aft, but all in the main hull. or 4 fore 2 aft or whatever.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Well, the ultimate descision is Reliant's, but I don't really mind either way.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

me,myself and I wrote:Point Conceded. So 4 tubes? 2 fore 2 aft? We can say that they needed room for the Laser Weapons tech...? or 3 fore 3 aft, but all in the main hull. or 4 fore 2 aft or whatever.
4 fore, 2 aft. See this image for the foreward tubes:

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

me,myself and I wrote:Point Conceded. So 4 tubes? 2 fore 2 aft? We can say that they needed room for the Laser Weapons tech...? or 3 fore 3 aft, but all in the main hull. or 4 fore 2 aft or whatever.
Lasers it would probably be best to have eight of, covering the various combinations of fore/aft, port/starboard and dorsal/ventral. Fewer and coverage would start getting a bit sparse, more and individual weapons would be unnecessarily weakened.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

ChakatBlackstar wrote:*snip image*
Wierd. I always assumed that the only forward tubes were the two in the armoury. I certainly can't remember more than wo firing in any incident. If that's the case I wonder where the armoury is - one in the middle, or one for each pair of tubes?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

NX-Class cross section, for reference:

A Deck
Bridge
Captain's ready room
Situation room

B Deck
Crew quarters
Energy distribution systems
Sensors
Warp nacelle access tunnels

C Deck
Crew quarters
Upper observation deck
Deuterium tanks
Gymnasium

D Deck
Brig
Crew and guest quarters
Engineering
Transporter
Decon chamber

E Deck
Captain's quarters
Chef's kitchen
Officers' and Captain's mess movie theater
Sickbay
Launch bays
Science labs
Navigational deflector
Port and starboard docking ports

F Deck
Access tunnels
Armory
Cargo Bay
Lower observation deck
Laser canons(or Phase cannons on canon ships)

G Deck Sensor array

And assuming they went with shuttle names for the ships

NX-01 Enterprise
NX-02 Colombia
NX-03 Challenger
NX-04 Discovery
NX-05 Atlantis
NX-06 Endeavor
NX-07 Buran
NX-08 Ptichka
NX-09 Avenger
NX-10 Baikal

Avenger is based on the one in the mirror universe. Other then that all other NX-class ships are named after shuttles(although Ptichka and Baikal weren't compleated and launched)
Last edited by Blackstar the Chakat on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Seafort wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:*snip image*
Wierd. I always assumed that the only forward tubes were the two in the armoury. I certainly can't remember more than wo firing in any incident. If that's the case I wonder where the armoury is - one in the middle, or one for each pair of tubes?
Well, they seemed to be spred apart so maybe the armoury rooms are seperated into two rooms, port and starboard. And I remember hearing, I think it was, "fire the port launcher" or something like that when they were getting in trouble in the repair station episode.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Wouldn't saying "fire the port launcher" imply only two forward tubes? If there were two port and to starboard, they would have to say "port tube #1" or some such.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:Wouldn't saying "fire the port launcher" imply only two forward tubes? If there were two port and to starboard, they would have to say "port tube #1" or some such.
If they followed the US Navy standard (and they rip alot off them), they would simply be numbered one through four. Mind you they wouldn't have mixed the armoury with the torpedo room and magazine either.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mikey wrote:Wouldn't saying "fire the port launcher" imply only two forward tubes? If there were two port and to starboard, they would have to say "port tube #1" or some such.
If they followed the US Navy standard (and they rip alot off them), they would simply be numbered one through four. Mind you they wouldn't have mixed the armoury with the torpedo room and magazine either.
True. But if they did say "port tube," which Blackstar claims that they did, then they would have to specify which port tube if there were two "on each side of the mast."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mikey wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:
True. But if they did say "port tube," which Blackstar claims that they did, then they would have to specify which port tube if there were two "on each side of the mast."
Chalk up another one to bad writing.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Wait, that was the forward tube(s). I thought they used the aft one. :oops: I think I need to see that ep again. It was ok IMO.