Viper Mark 1

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Viper Mark 1

Post by Sionnach Glic »

From The Imperfections of Memory we get a brief glimpse of a combat craft reffered to in dialogue as a "Viper". Given that this model is around more than a decade before the First Cylon War, in which the Viper MK 2 first appeared, this is presumably the first craft in the Viper series.

Judging from the large size of the wings and the tail fins relative to later Viper models, it would appear that this model is designed more for aerial combat than space combat. Additionaly, what looks like a jet intake of some sort can be seen under the nose of the craft and just aft of the cockpit on either side of the main hull, further suggesting that it was intended for atmospheric operations. The ship's pilots are (assuming what we see are accurate representations of the gear that the pilots would normaly war) equipped with what are clearly not space suits, as they have open-faced helmets and appear to be made of more conventional cloth instead of the material that the Colonials' flight suits are made from during the First Cylon War. Again, this would suggest that it was primarily designed for fighting within a planet's atmosphere. This would make sense given the period in which it was built.

Prior to the First Cylon War and the signing of the Articles of Colonisation, the 12 Colonies were effectively seperate nations. With no central government any sort of large space fleet would be completely impractical even for the relatively rich worlds like Caprica. For less wealthy worlds like Tauron any sort of Starfleet would be impossible to run. Thus it's likely that the only real inter-planetary military vessels around at this point would have been basicaly giant transports, presumably with some basic armaments. Any sort of conflict would likely be based around getting as many troops onto the enemy planet as quickly as possible. Given this sort of strategy it would be logical to design attack craft primarily for atmospheric operations, with any sort of space combat abilities taking a back-seat, if indeed they exist at all.

That said, it should be noted that there are three black dots on each Viper's wing which could be RCS thrusters, hinting that at the very least it might be capable of rudimentary extra-atmospheric operations.

We get a very brief glimpse of the cockpit's interior, which is somewhat interesting. From what we can see it appears somewhat more advanced than the Viper Mark 2's (not surprising, given that there was no fear of networked computers at this point), but less advanced than the MK 7's. The craft also appears to be equipped with a DRADIS.

With regards to armament, the Vipers appear to be armed with one small missile on the tip of each wing (they look to me to be quite similar to modern air-to-air missiles), a large bomb on each wing close to the main hull (a DRADIS-guided bomb?) and two machine guns mounted in the nose of the craft. There's also a large cylindrical object beneath the fuselage of the Viper. While this could be a bomb, I think it looks a bit more like a fuel tank.

I doubt that the CGI guys would go through the trouble of rendering a ship in such detail and building a cockpit interior for something that appears for less than a minute, so I'm guessing that we'll be seeing them again. I certainly hope so, because she's a sexy looking plane, if a bit stubby.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Viper Mark 1

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sionnach Glic wrote:With regards to armament, the Vipers appear to be armed with one small missile on the tip of each wing (they look to me to be quite similar to modern air-to-air missiles)
Never mind "similar". If there's a visual difference between those things and Sidewinders I can't see it.
a large bomb on each wing close to the main hull (a DRADIS-guided bomb?)
I haven't seen "Caprica" - are they see in action? If not then they might well be drop tanks - they're in the right place for them.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The only glimpse we get of the craft is in a VR simulation. They don't do much except fly in a fairly straight line, until one rams the other, has its wing break off and goes plumeting into the ocean. As I said, though, it's unlikely the CGI team would put a completely new and rather well detailed model together just for less than a minute of screen time, so we may get some glimpses. If, as I suspect, the show continues until the beginning of the First Cylon War then we may well get some scenes of them in action.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Sionnach Glic wrote:- so we may get some glimpses. If, as I suspect, the show continues until the beginning of the First Cylon War then we may well get some scenes of them in action.
I don't think we're going to get to see the first Cylon war unless the show does jumps to the future - its 58 years before the second war, which if my memory serves me is 40 years after the end of the first which (again if my memory is right) lasted for 4 years. So 58 - 44 years is 14 years before the first war starts? That means that young Bill Adama will be in his mid 20's during the war which seemed bout right from the flashbacks we saw of him.

My figures could be wrong so feel free to pull em apart. We might get to see some inter colony fighting and such or maybe small scale stuff before the real high level Cylon war starts though.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Your figures are correct. I'm anticipating some jumping around, such as how nBSG jumped forward on a couple of occasions.

Though the idea of inter-colony conflict is far more likely. After all, the Cylons were originally built for that purpose.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

[quote="Sionnach Glic"]

Those are cl;early drop tanks, note the lack of any sort of fuse in the things nose. As for the three things on the wings, those are likely antenna or something associated with the flaps, similar things appear on modern aircraft.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

In that case it seems likely that the craft was designed for atmospheric combat, and probably lacks any real space combat capability.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

It might be capable of high aerial operation bordering on orbital, but I doubt it could be of any use in combat operation up there.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

They could have a tail fuse. Drop tanks are likely but you can't rule out bombs.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

It might, but going by what I can see of the back of one, it's unlikely. It doesn't even have fins.