ITT we talk about the race por favor

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

If it was a warp race, then the S'Tei would have quite an advantage, with Graham/Ian's posted specs. At impulse, its just another Rommie lethargic slug.
Jabber Swarky
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Jabber Swarky »

If I could? I just wanna say, the 6 hour rule might not be a good idea.. While the idea of a race is ultimatley speed, if you have a lot of Player Characters in it then the 6 hour thing could be a problem. Saaay.. three people are on the forums most of the time because they have internet acess at school or work or they're lounging around at home or something. Then, say, two more only get internet acess in the evening, because they're busy during the day. Technically those three people could FINISH the race before those two people have a chance to even post leaving the starting line... or one of those two people could nip in at the last moment with a single post and the excuse that since all that IC time passed they were right behind the leaders. Or whatever.

...Also, it just occured to me that unless we determine the ending before we start, something as competative as a race is going to end up being a big ole slapfight between two people i can think of over wether what they're doing is fair ¬.¬

..Ohh, on another note, perhaps if we do do it we can fit something cool in to add drama. Like, say.. the Space Mafia type peeps hosting the race have installed explosives in the ships to make sure that no-one cheats, or have marshalls lurking around to stop people from turning the race into a chance to attack certain qaudraped pilots. And of course certain mafia types could have a lot of money riding on the race and so attempt to alter the outcome with said devices.. Hehe =p
"Theres allways the March Hare... he's mad too, of course. Most people around here are. You may have noticed im not all there myself..."
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

@Jabbers

I'm pretty confident it isn't a "first to post X times wins" kind of thing. Though if you aren't posting in a whole day that might be frowned on.

I'm thinking near the end we should see who considers themselves to be in contention and then do something semi random to decide the winner.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Alright lets try and move this forward. To offer something for a range of people, lets say it's a "rough terrain" type rally. Maybe with kind of a Baja 1000 feel. No weapons fire or real ramming but you can nudge others a little and a little mass would help slamming through small gas clouds and debris.

The route is in a nearby set of solar systems that smashed into each other long ago creating a wide binary system with ripped up remenants of gas giants and other planets stretched inbetween. Competitors must complete a figure 8 route that loops around both starts, and takes the winners nearly a full 24 hours to complete. The route has a number of beacons designating through route along the way to prevent people from avoiding crowd favorites like the prismatic ice belt, but otherwise giving some flexibility.

Some competitors try to win with rugged craft, some with slick and manuverable craft. Others may try to win by plotting the perfect course to make gravity work with them.

Everyone is aware that luck is a factor though as the conditions one competitor goes through may have changed by the time the next comes through if they aren't close.

Anyway how does that sound?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Sounds good. I do think we should brainstorm, like Jabbers said, to try and avoid anything like "most posts wins." If I enter, I don't mind not winning if it's important to somebody else - I'd like to finish in the money, though. :wink:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I dont mind losing either. Nice chance to stretch mi crafts legs.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Mikey wrote:Sounds good. I do think we should brainstorm, like Jabbers said, to try and avoid anything like "most posts wins." If I enter, I don't mind not winning if it's important to somebody else - I'd like to finish in the money, though. :wink:
I agree. Especially for a freeform RPG. My proposal is the following. We post along, sometimes writing about what we're doing, sometimes throwing obsticles and problems at other racers. After a while when we start getting tired of it or somebody writes themselves as getting near the finish line we have to pick the winner or the order of contestants.

Everyone who wants to be in contention (i.e. they haven't left the race for subplot reasons or written themselves into the drunk party group taking up the rear) will have a shot. Each person gets in on a random verifiable dice roll, highest roller gets to have their ship win and then down the line. As it's a freeform you are free to add people between you and people finishing ahead of you. You are also free to write up whatever excuse as to why you didn't win.
Last edited by sunnyside on Tue May 13, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Wow, you're smart. And diplomatic.
as Bull offed Custer
Jabber Swarky
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Jabber Swarky »

Hehe, yeah, sounds like a plan ^^
"Theres allways the March Hare... he's mad too, of course. Most people around here are. You may have noticed im not all there myself..."
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Alright so who wants in? Anything else we need to discuss?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I'm obviously in. And we do need to discuss the course.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

This would actually be a good way to introduce my character. Isn't Kortaga somehow involved with this race? I'd be here looking for a lead, and my ship can get smashed during the race, necessitating a rescue. Eh? Eh?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Don't ask us - it's your character, introduce him however you want.

Actually, if that's how you're entering the storyline, I could use that... I'll PM you later on.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cool beans.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:I'm obviously in. And we do need to discuss the course.
Do we? I figured people would just add elements as they go. If you want to add specific obsticles and things would could do that. Still the post structure may mean some people gloss over certain things.