USS Daystrom-Xenobiology: Tholians

Can Granitehewer aka pete, write up some factoids regarding the tholians,in this universe?

yes
85%
no
15%

Total votes: 13
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

yeah then we can compare our pedigrees,mix'n'match and make a suitable mongrel
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thorin wrote:I don't want to turn this into another sexual innuendo thread, but 'thoughtshower' doesn't remind me of a brainstorm...
Not again! :lol:
GraniteHewer wrote:yeah then we can compare our pedigrees,mix'n'match and make a suitable mongrel
:? Hm?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

mix ideas and create a resilient little framework
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, right.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, does anyone know how a Tholian would react to a phaser shot?
We know that Tholians are about as far from human as you can get in Trek, so how would such a biology react to an energy weapon? Phasers seem to be particularly good against rock, but what of crystaline structures? Would they just shatter, or would the effect not even be noticed by creatures which live comfortably in 200+ temperatures?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well I imagin you'd be harder to stun but you wou get nialed by higher power. You may very well lose an arm or a leg. But for all we know you can re grow them. Infact that makes a lot of sense being a crystal. A body shot would blow a chunk out of you which you may or may not survive. But we really don't know.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, it would be rather difficult to survive a high-powered shot. :wink:

The rest makes a good bit of sense. It would just be handy if we knew a bit more about them.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, question number two.

How do Tholians speak? They apear to have no mouth that I can see. Is it some form of telepathy? If so, what range would it have?
Or is it caused by something completely different?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I believe they cause vibrations in there bodies. I imagin it would sound like a dolphin.

The universal translatter have had problems with it i the past. But we obviously have got it down.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That would make sense, given the fact that they can send transmisions with their bodies. But one seems to have longer range, and apears inaudable to humans. Perhaps they can choose in what ways to 'vocalise', thus allowing them to speak different languages at different ranges?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

That would just involve vibrating at different frequencys which would be very possible.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, so would a Tholian be able to send an English speaking transmision to a good distance away? Such as what the Tholian in In a Mirror, Darkly did?
That would come in handy.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

You'd be able to send them to a tricorder over a distance but I doubt you'd be able to do it more than a kilometer at most.

Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

In a mirror darkly and crewman down, the tholian communications weren't english speaking but were in tholian and translated by Hoshi Sato
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Teaos wrote:You'd be able to send them to a tricorder over a distance but I doubt you'd be able to do it more than a kilometer at most.
Wasn't the Tholian in In a Mirror, Darkly able to transmit a distress call over a considerable distance?
GraniteHewer wrote:In a mirror darkly and crewman down, the tholian communications weren't english speaking but were in tholian and translated by Hoshi Sato
True, but what I was asking was whether it would be possible to send such a transmission in English.