USS Daystrom sign in

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

You are correct in remembering Saruman's nickname - from sharku, meaning "old man," but my derivation is much more banal than that. I'll give it a little while, then spill the beans.

P.S. You'd have to be more familiar than I expect of you with a certain aspect of American culture to get the second group.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

CPO Sharkey was the sitcom with Don Rickles :wink:

Nice one
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's one - I knew I wanted a CPO for that character, and the name just flowed from that.

And I don't know where you are in CA, but if you're a 'Niners fan, think about the folks who whupped their a**es in '86...
as Bull offed Custer
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

The Giants
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

There we go - specifically, the last three Giants selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Linebackers Harry Carson and Lawrence Taylor, from the '80's and '90's, and a quarterback from the 1920's called Benny Friedman.
as Bull offed Custer
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

Yay!! what do i win? A free trip to Hawaii!!?! A 2008 Dodge Viper?!?! $10000000000 !?!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You have, in fact, won a free trip to California. Seeing as how you're already there...
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I just apdated the Mission rief crew manifest. We have 22 named characters. Monroe I'll get back to you tonight after work on a way to work you into the plot.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

ah, fresh meat!
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Teaos wrote:I just apdated the Mission rief crew manifest. We have 22 named characters. Monroe I'll get back to you tonight after work on a way to work you into the plot.
Sounds good.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Kasper Nijhoff

species: human

Born: 1990

Bio: born of rich parents from the Eastern coalition while being born with autism, variant asperger, he was one nasty child, not reacting to any stimuli for a long time. At age 17, he was put in a cryosattelite, with his drug plug rebuilt to interface with his brain synapses to keep him in artificial coma. Due to his syndrome, he is somewhat obsolete as a carrier of knowledge and raw mathematical power, because computers outrun him. Recently, he was discovered by the USS Daystrom in a cryosattelite, well into Tholian space, having been adrift in interstellar space for several years. it is unknow as of now how he wound up there.

Soon after the beta mission of the Daystrom he was awoken by a team of the nearby station, using the data gathered from observations made by dr. Sarin Tall during his stay on the daystrom. Still somewhat stoic to his surroundings, the team decided to use his drug plug as his window on the world.
First attempts with regular hormones were unsuccesful, due to the different wiring of his brain relative to non-autistic humans.
As soon as his neural pathways were studied thoroughly, the medical team was able to recalibrate the hormones used, but attempts at social contact remained difficult, though he could function in his holographic recreation of the enviroment he was likely to have lived in.

- Report by dr. Sarin Taal, alias Darkomen -

When I was first contacted by the bridge crew of the USS Daystrom I had no idea this was even possible. At some point in a reguar mission I got a call from the ops department that they found a cryosattelite from the Sol system, almost 300 years old, which contained a boy which was still intact. You can imagine how ridiculous it sounded, but we were used to that, considering we already had a 1st officer which was a tholian as part of an exchange program and a feline-like centaur creature from another reality that quite much shaped most of my EMH assistant.

Initial studies of the body showed he was about 18 years old in terms of his physical age. Perhaps he was exactly 18 years old when he was put in cryostasis, as test results from his intestines showed some remains of a lot of fat and sugar and other ingredients common ingredients in birthday cakes of that time.
The second interesting discovery were his neural pathways and the level of development of his brains. Although not extinct, there are still people with psychic disorders which have their origins in the arrangement of their neurl pathways. This was an example: This boy was, or rather is, autistic. Considering autism can be divided into various sub-syndromes, I decided to dive a little deeper into his mind.
To find out what specific kind of autism this boy had, I had to raise his level of conciousness a little bit. A frozen body is interesting to study, but considering it has to be kept at the same temperature all the time and I didn't want to wear an enviromental suit constantly, I decided to place the body in one of the 2 holodecks, to simulate a slightly milder enviroment, while keeping him in a comateuse state. He would still be braindead, but I could see how his brain was wired and how it responded to pulses, in order to diagnose him further.
The conclusion was that he was/is indeed autistic, with a rather 'light' syndrome, called Asperger. First used in the 1980's by a researcher called Lorna Wing, she named it after an Austrian doctor which first 'discovered' patients in his clinic with similar synptoms.
Further details about asperger can be found in another report elaborating on Asperger.

- end of medical report -
Last edited by shran on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I would love to get in on this, but there are already established characters and multiple plot threads. I need to go through the older threads a bit more; then I would love to flesh out some minor characters, or write any action scenes that will invariably arise from venturing onto a Tholian slave-colony.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The only thing you need to read is the main story thread the rest is just us talking about nothing.

You can ask one of the main guys to join their department or creat something random like the cook or something. Or take over an established OC.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Maybe we could rescue you from the slavers? We do need some inside inteligence, after all.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Oh nice idea. But you'd have to wait for them to get to you.