Windows on starships.

Everything else
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

The duraglass of star wars is suppose to be just as strong as durasteel. I suppose its harder to make and that's why you don't see a ship completely fill of duraglass.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Monroe wrote:The duraglass of star wars is suppose to be just as strong as durasteel. I suppose its harder to make and that's why you don't see a ship completely fill of duraglass.
Imagine the Duraglass Death Star. How wicked would that be? Get someone to tint it, gangsta style, reflect a sun's light on the planet, thus making the superlaser unnecessary! [/ridiculous idea]
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

A further problem with windows (and one not removed by super-strong transparent stuff) is that to but them in you's have to cut holes in the main hull. I'm no engineer, but I believe this would weaken the main hull would it not?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It would make it weaker to weapons fire maybe but not to hull strengh. The skeleton of the ship is the real strenght the plates on it don't supply much strengh.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I imagine that any civilization capable of FTL travel, etc., would have a method of forming metals to shape, without have to cut out the window areas. Heck, as of almost ten years ago, General Motors was hydroforming steel frame rails...

In addition, I'm sure the Trek universe would have a window material capable of dispersing energy (like the hull material id supposed to do) as well as any simple metal...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re:

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

IanKennedy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:31 pmThere's a good reason they put a huge 'window' on the front of the bridge.

I would find it quite depressing to be sealed in a box and not be able to see what's outside. Especially with spectacular items like nebula just outside.
Oh lord. I think JJ abrahms saw this comment and took that to mean there was a LITERAL window on the bridge to the outside! Prophetic, man!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Re:

Post by IanKennedy »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:28 am
IanKennedy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:31 pmThere's a good reason they put a huge 'window' on the front of the bridge.

I would find it quite depressing to be sealed in a box and not be able to see what's outside. Especially with spectacular items like nebula just outside.
Oh lord. I think JJ abrahms saw this comment and took that to mean there was a LITERAL window on the bridge to the outside! Prophetic, man!
I did put "quotes" not he word window... :happydevil:
email, ergo spam