Windows on starships.

Everything else
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

You know, the one time I can think of when a Trek ship looked believable was in Generations, when the Enterprise was at the Amargosa star. The light overwhelmed everthing, (and they probably had dimming filters in place, etc). But I'd doubt they'd see many other stars in that situation. Simply too much "light pollution".

One thing I like is that in TNG (and to a lesser extent in other series), the rooms with "views" are fairly dark or dimly lit (Ten Forward, for example.), so the difference isn't AS overpowering to the eye.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

But there are still rooms like the observtion lounge, and Janeway's ready room that have the problem.

Anyway, it's just because people expect it to be there. I won't be demanding that they remove it. :p
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

True.

I'd like to see more attention paid to that principle in Trek, but it just isn't really "hard" sci-fi, and seeing bright stars everywhere is kind of part of the universe.

I would hope that future sci-fi series pay better attention to this!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

I would find it quite depressing to be sealed in a box and not be able to see what's outside. Especially with spectacular items like nebula just outside.
People can be trained to go great lengths of time sealed up in a confined space. Submariners today do it. Certainly not everyone can, but in a federation with potentially hundreds of billions or even a trillion or two, it shouldn't be difficult to find a few million to man starships.

With regards to Trek, shields seem to provide most of the protection for most ships; once the shields give way, your average Trek vessel is toast, windows or no windows.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm... I suppose you could rationalise it by just saying that the multi-coloured death gets you wether you have windows or not. This dosen't explan them in sci-fi where vessels are heavily armoured (eg, Star Wars) or don't have shields.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Even in Star Wars (with their brilliant use of redundant systems, you know for like bridges! :lol: ), ships that supposedly are "more heavily armoured" do have fewer windows, at least in places one would expect their armour to be.

In general, even now we armour different areas of a ship differently, because weight/mass is still important to maximize acceleration and maneuverability. I assume that starships would operate the same way.

So I imagine that vital systems are pretty heavily armoured (and thus fewer windows), while non-vital areas can get away with standard hull plating. Look at where the Defiant's windows are!

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

with their brilliant use of redundant systems, you know for like bridges!
:lol:
Well, I suppose to be fair they had about ten seconds to take over before crashing.
ships that supposedly are "more heavily armoured" do have fewer windows, at least in places one would expect their armour to be.
Upon futher inspection it apears you are right, point conceeded.

As for the rest, you have some good points. I guess I just don't like windows. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Rochey wrote: Well, I suppose to be fair they had about ten seconds to take over before crashing.

As for the rest, you have some good points. I guess I just don't like windows. :)
Point conceded there about the Executor. Still, it makes you wonder :roll: .

Anyway, I agree in principle with you that windows would realistically be confined to places that could have a good view, and be limited to areas where the hull is not just covering equipment or armour. I think it would be more realistic to show less of them. (maybe just observation lounges, living quarters, and a few public rooms)

Then again, (real world reason?) windows offer a great sense of scale, because viewers assume that most humanoids are roughly the same size. So we go gaga when we see astounding numbers of windows :shock: :roll:

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think the best idea would be to have any windows in some sort of recreational area, that way it really dosen't matter if that areas strength is less than others.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I think that the Structual integrity feild has a huge part in hull strength.

Over all I'd say that the SIF has a bigger roll than the material its self.

I think in terms of resisting weapons fire it is the melt point that is the most important which I think would be high in all cases. The only down side to windows is they are more brittle which means when they fail it is total failure.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yes, but the SIF could fail if the ship loses power. (not that hard to imagine in the middle of a battle) Thats why ships should be armoured.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Ian's correct; most sci-fi universes have rationalized this problem with some sort of super-tough clear material. For Star Trek, it's transparent aluminum, for Star Wars, transparisteel (transparent steel). Anyway, ships with windows just look so much cooler than those without, even if there is the slight risk of fighter collisions... :wink:
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I don't think I have ever heard of the SIF going down. If it did I imagin the ship would be so damaged it wouldn't matter about armor since the ship is screwed.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I would still prefer a ship that has a chance of survivng a direct hit if it lost power than one which will fall apart.
Dean Martlou
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

Post by Dean Martlou »

Teaos wrote:I don't think I have ever heard of the SIF going down. If it did I imagine the ship would fall apart in a horrible-yet-awesome display of pyrotechnic fury, as Trek ships all would upon moving at any resonable acceleration without the SIF.
fix'd and fix'd.
Oops.

I shouldn't have told you that last part.