SFDB: S1E1

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

SFDB: S1E1

Post by Teaos »

Link

Finally more SG. I've been waiting for this for years.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SFDB: S1E1

Post by Captain Seafort »

Opinioanted? Methinks Chuck was paying a little too much attention to making the cool point-of-origin symbols, and not enough to where they should go.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Part one remember, he usually gets opinionated in the latter parts.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I'm not complaining about the quality of the review - I'm complaining about the spelling.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well no one here can expect me to pick up on a spelling mistake...

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Well no one hre cn epec me to pikc up un a spulign mstike...
True.

:P
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

At least when I post on my iPhone it has auto correct. :D

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I was just coming here to post this. :P :D
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Part 2 up

I don't entirely agree with Chuck's assertion regarding the symbols on the gate. While they're certainly common to all gates, and therefore can't refer to the constellations of all the various planets, there's no reason those symbols can't be based on Earth's constellations.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Finally. With no Stargate this is what I get to look forward to.

The Antarctic Gate they found, was the oldest they ever found. It is possible that gate especially where the Outpost and Atlantis was based is where the Milky Way Galaxy gates were first designed.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

But why would the gates be based off Earth constellations?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

We do know the Ancients were quite full of themselves. Earth became their homeworld in the Milky Way Galaxy so they probably designed all the gates from there and constructed them all. I can believe that explanation. The only thing is that chuck is still right when he says that the whole constellation thing is complete hogwash now. if the symbols are represented by constellations as seen from earth than it is just some kind of code to move between any two planets where Earth is not the point of origin. There's also the fact that considering that stellar drift has been enough since the stargates were created to move planets out of where they're supposed to be, why do the constellations still look the same? Stellar drift doesn't just affect planets with stargates.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That's another big one. Constellations are not fixed. Given how long ago the ancients made the gates why would they look like modern constellations? I dunno, this part of the show I never really cared about. The explanation worked ok in the movie but it kind of got stretched in the show. I just blew it off and figured it was just a dialing program. They never actually determined in the movie if Daniel's explanation was bullshit by comparing constellations to where it sent them.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I think the Earth outpost gate was dated to millions of years. I have no idea what the constellations would look like back then.

It is one of those things that you just have fudge the explanation.

There are a lot of that though in the show.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Part 3 up

Overall, pretty good, although I'm not entirely convinced about the approach of treating CotG and EW as separate stories - they're really a three-parter IMO.