Today I Watched...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by T'Pau »

F9: I watched the other 8 Fast and Furious back to back over several afternoons with Graham some time ago. They all sort of blurred into one film after a while. Exception was Hobbs & Shaw (loved it!!!), so was prepared for more car vroom, car crash, bad guys doing bad things, etc. F9 had sooo many laughable moments of science found only in the imagination...or as Graham would decry "physics says NO!". Quite silly overall and no doubt F10-11 will be more of the same. Funny where it shouldn't be, falling flat where laughs should be.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It's an odd franchise which went from illegal street racers with thievery on the side to international James Bond wanabe's that just happened to use cars amongst other things.
In F9 they built a space rocket in a few hours and turn a car into a space shuttle in order to destroy a satellite. I'm sure there will be an F10, but I can't see where they have left to go. Moon base, Mars perhaps?
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Carssssss innnnnn Spaaaaaaace!
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

IanKennedy wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:24 am I also saw “Pirates of the Amazon”, sorry “River Cruise”. A typical Disney post pirates movie attempting to cash in on the Pirates success. Also reminded me of The Mummy (Brendan Foster, not Tom Cruise). Not as good as either but still pretty decent.
Saw it today...so many moments stolen from other films as well as 'borrowed' musical themes throughout. The first cruise before the opening credits is the exact way the ride at the parks happens, from what you see to what you hear.

As far as a family film, it is fine. However, charging an extra $30 on top of the Disney Plus subscription is criminal. Same done for most of the simultaneous screened films this season. And they wonder why 'pirates' still exist...Yo Ho Ho, mouseboy :laughroll:
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:19 pm It's an odd franchise which went from illegal street racers with thievery on the side to international James Bond wanabe's that just happened to use cars amongst other things.
In F9 they built a space rocket in a few hours and turn a car into a space shuttle in order to destroy a satellite. I'm sure there will be an F10, but I can't see where they have left to go. Moon base, Mars perhaps?
Obviously a car with warp engines to fight aliens with their alien cars on their alien world.

Befriend a space alien and he is now Family.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Jolt: A bouncer (Kate Beckinsale) with a slightly murdeous anger-management problem that she controls with the help of an electrode-lined vest she uses to shock herself back to normalcy whenever she gets homicidal. After the first guy she's ever fallen for is murdered, she goes on a revenge-fueled rampage to find the killer while the cops pursue her as their main suspect.

This was not reviewed well by men, but better by women. A dark comedy with stock characters used in interesting ways. Sure, you see it coming a mile off, but you get some laughs along the way. Definitely not what I expected, and still enjoyable 90mins of mayhem!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Kate Beckinsale being a bouncer is just as believable as me being a professional basketball player.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Isn't a major selling point of entertainment like film, the suspension of disbelief?
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

T'Pau wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:44 pm Isn't a major selling point of entertainment like film, the suspension of disbelief?
Depending on the type of work, how far the viewers can suspend their disbelief changes from very little to a lot. I can't suspend my disbelief for a modern day film near as much as I can for a film set on an alien planet in the year not-any-time-soon half a galaxy away with humans who can get there from earth in less time than a modern day working class guy can save for a deposit for a mortgage.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:24 pm
T'Pau wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:44 pm Isn't a major selling point of entertainment like film, the suspension of disbelief?
Depending on the type of work, how far the viewers can suspend their disbelief changes from very little to a lot. I can't suspend my disbelief for a modern day film near as much as I can for a film set on an alien planet in the year not-any-time-soon half a galaxy away with humans who can get there from earth in less time than a modern day working class guy can save for a deposit for a mortgage.
Seconding this. There's the kind of work, how much effort is put into justifying things. Hell, sometimes my mood can affect it!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Saw "The Suicide Squad" again. Liked it better this time.

Also saw "Free Guy". Pretty funny in a typical Ryan Reynolds sort of way, not quite on a Deadpool level or style. Still pretty good film. Gamers will find it even funnier.
email, ergo spam
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

IanKennedy wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:50 pm Saw "The Suicide Squad" again. Liked it better this time.
I recently saw this one. It's pretty good. The jokes don't get in the way of the drama as in Guardians of the Galaxy 2. I was a little take aback by some of the cuts back in time, where a scene happens, then cut back to the past, then cut back to the scene. But other than that, my favorite superhero movie in some time.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Stallone as King Shark for the win! Nom Nom!!!
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

T'Pau wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:27 pm Stallone as King Shark for the win! Nom Nom!!!
I was actually happy, when he was in front of that aquarium.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

IanKennedy wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:50 pm Also saw "Free Guy". Pretty funny in a typical Ryan Reynolds sort of way, not quite on a Deadpool level or style. Still pretty good film. Gamers will find it even funnier.
I recognised Jacksepticeye and Pokimane. I still dont remember what the actress that played Millie/MolotovGirl was in previously. ...