"Cats: The Movie" Trailer

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: "Cats: The Movie" Trailer

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nutso wrote:Rushed into theaters against Star Wars.
"I'll take 'Unsound Business Decisions' for 500, Alex!"
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I heard the reviews for this movie is exactly what you expect. Weird. Uncomfortable.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I saw a review that summed it up as, some of the cast are basically just doing the stage show on a movie. Some of the cast are doing a parody SNL sketch riffing on the stage show. Ian McKellen is doing a method-acting take on a hyper-realistic version of a humanoid cat, which nobody else is even trying to do, so the whole thing comes off as an incredibly jarring mix of tones and styles.

That said, both of the reviewers said that whilst it's by no means a "good" movie, they found it fascinating and couldn't wait to take friends and partners to see it, if only to see their WTF reactions to it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
I believe the "Unsound Business Decision" was deciding to make this thing in the first place! The age of the $Billion Box Office sure is producing expensive, substandard, questionable effluvia. They can fund anything nowadays, and they chose Cats? A musical? A musical with people prancing around like cats? Make it as expensive as a Star Wars movie but, with more CGI/Make-up FX than a Star Wars movie?! Release it unfinished!? Rush it into competition against Star Wars!? I can make bad decisions too! Give me $200million! I'll make 10 bad decisions with that.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nutso wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:
I believe the "Unsound Business Decision" was deciding to make this thing in the first place! The age of the $Billion Box Office sure is producing expensive, substandard, questionable effluvia. They can fund anything nowadays, and they chose Cats? A musical? A musical with people prancing around like cats? Make it as expensive as a Star Wars movie but, with more CGI/Make-up FX than a Star Wars movie?! Release it unfinished!? Rush it into competition against Star Wars!? I can make bad decisions too! Give me $200million! I'll make 10 bad decisions with that.
Hollywood is almost totally committed to avoiding original ideas. Some get through even now, probably always will, but "let's make a movie of that thing people like!" rules the roost in a big way, especially for expensive stuff.

It's understandable. The one thing corporations want above all is predictability. They want to know that if their movies do X Y and Z, they will make money. And movies just don't work that way. So make a movie of something that's already succeeded, and you have a built in audience.

Except for when you don't.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I would love it if, rather than remaking great movies and try to make lightning hit twice. If they remade bad movies and tried to make them better, a little like they are with His Dark Materials.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Teaos wrote:I would love it if, rather than remaking great movies and try to make lightning hit twice. If they remade bad movies and tried to make them better, a little like they are with His Dark Materials.
Plan 9 From Outer Space! It won't be marketable in China, though.
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nutso wrote:
Teaos wrote:I would love it if, rather than remaking great movies and try to make lightning hit twice. If they remade bad movies and tried to make them better, a little like they are with His Dark Materials.
Ahem.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Nutso wrote:
Ahem.
Okay... How about "1984?" Still wouldn't be marketable in China.
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nutso wrote:Okay... How about "1984?" Still wouldn't be marketable in China.
Just wait until the family friendly Disney musical version with a Trump lookalike as Big Brother. Those communist buggers will love it!