Favorite Recipies

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Favorite Recipies

Post by Bryan Moore »

Anyone here cook? What are your favorite recipes? What do you cook the most?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Favorite Recipies

Post by Mikey »

I'm not much of a cook, but there's a few things I can do well. Steaks, of course, and my ahi steaks are damned good, but the dish my kids keep asking me for is my meatballs. I've never written a recipe, though.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

My tops and mac and cheese and lazagnia but both are fairly standard.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

I just found this thread today, so I will share my most recent recipe success:

Calabrian Shrimp for Two
ingredients: 12 large peeled and deveined shrimp, 5-10 pickled calabrian peppers (aka pepperoncini), chopped with their seeds, olive oil to coat a large skillet, 6 slices of baquette cut on the bias.
Put the slices of baguette onto a cookie sheet and toast under the broiler a few minutes on each side, until crisp.
Combine oil and peppers and heat on medium until they begin to sizzle. Add in the shrimp and cook on one side for approximately 2 mins, covered. Uncover and flip the shrimp and cook 1 min, and remove from heat (the carryover heat in the pan will finish the shrimp).
Put 3 slices of toast on each plate, and top with the shrimp and peppers, drizzling the cooking oil over the top.

Enjoy!

Update: I made this a second time recently, and added 3 cloves of minced garlic to the pan with the peppers. Even better!
Last edited by T'Pau on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Take two to four jiggers of an Islay scotch, preferably Laphraoig. Pour over two ice cubes.

What? That's it.
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

How about a Lagavulin 16 neat. Easy recipe and they've already added the liquid smoke!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Last glass of scotch I enjoyed was Johnny Walker Blue. Not bad, not great, but free!
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Johnnie Blue is interesting... The blends differ from year to year but there's an odd grainy vanilla to it that while not unappealing, there are probably other things that I'd rather pay $225 USD for a .75 mL before I get a Blue. When I consider just how great the Johnnie Walker Green Label is for $60 a bottle (My absolute go-to when I'm just drinking with friends), I just can't bring myself to fork over the Blue money.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Keyword on my previous booze post: free

My folks, when they drank scotch, drank Chivas Regal. I always felt a burn from the brand, but it was the go-to during undergrad days.

The Glens (fiddich and levit) are much smoother to my palate, but pricey.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Islay scotch...ice cubes.
:shock:

:evil:

:raygun1:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:

I'm at a loss to determine whether your reaction is due to liking less peaty, less medicinal scotches; or to preferring them neat. I admit, I'll take a Macallan's neat, but I do like an ice cube in the really kelpy Islays.
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:

I'm at a loss to determine whether your reaction is due to liking less peaty, less medicinal scotches; or to preferring them neat. I admit, I'll take a Macallan's neat, but I do like an ice cube in the really kelpy Islays.
"Macallan's is so fucking pedestrian" - owner of my local liquor store owner and whiskey expert. One of my favorite all time quotes about Scotch, but I do love a good Macallan's 12.

Honestly, if it's anything above Johnnie Black in price, I'm probably doing neat/splash of distilled water.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Macallan 18 Sherry Oak is my favourite. Unfortunately it's over £200 a bottle at the moment, even out of my price range for a 70cl bottle.
email, ergo spam
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

IanKennedy wrote:Macallan 18 Sherry Oak is my favourite. Unfortunately it's over £200 a bottle at the moment, even out of my price range for a 70cl bottle.
Yes, I love a sherry cask, though Balvenie 15 Sherry is by far my favorite sherry cask at any price, and at £120 a bottle certainly beats the price. Glenmorangie 12 Lasanta isn't bad at all for a sherry cask at less than £40 a bottle for a 700ml.

Also, do you guys really use cl and not ml in the UK? I suppose I've never noticed that, but I always found it weird that centimeter is used in America often enough, but I can't think of much use of centiliter here.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:I'm at a loss to determine whether your reaction is due to liking less peaty, less medicinal scotches; or to preferring them neat. I admit, I'll take a Macallan's neat, but I do like an ice cube in the really kelpy Islays.
The reaction was over the idea of adding anything more than a drop of water to a good single malt.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.