USS Vol'Rala (AGC-7-10), part II

Enterprise
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

USS Vol'Rala (AGC-7-10), part II

Post by Meste17 »

Okay so I read up recently on the USS Vol'Rala AGC-7-10 from the recent Enterprise novels. Several questions pop in my head about the fate of the starship name and its relevance to the Star Trek franchise:

1. Could she possibly be made into a later ship in the 23rd or 24th centuries?

2. Could she be canon?

3. In the year 2161, the newly promoted Resthenar sh'Prenni became Vol'Rala's captain, when the Imperial Guard was integrated into the Federation Starfleet. Could this mean that she served in the Andorian Imperial Guard previously under a different name?

4. It also has been stated that she was destroyed in October of 2165. Would she be succeeded by a newer ship of the same name?
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: USS Vol'Rala (AGC-7-10), part II

Post by Meste17 »

5. Would that successor ship be of the same class, or perhaps a new more powerful vessel?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Meste17 wrote:Okay so I read up recently on the USS Vol'Rala AGC-7-10 from the recent Enterprise novels. Several questions pop in my head about the fate of the starship name and its relevance to the Star Trek franchise:

1. Could she possibly be made into a later ship in the 23rd or 24th centuries?
What is this obsession you seem to have with transplanting ships from one era to another? Over and over again people explain to you why this is a stupid idea, and a few days later you ask the exact same thing over again.

From now on, any time you want to ask this question about ANY ship, just say to yourself : "No. It's NEVER reasonable to do that."
2. Could she be canon?
Sure. All you'd need is for Paramount to make a movie or TV series and put the ship in it. Then it would be canon.
3. In the year 2161, the newly promoted Resthenar sh'Prenni became Vol'Rala's captain, when the Imperial Guard was integrated into the Federation Starfleet. Could this mean that she served in the Andorian Imperial Guard previously under a different name?
Why under a different name? What would be the point of that?
5. Would that successor ship be of the same class, or perhaps a new more powerful vessel?
Ships are rarely replaced with a ship of the same class. It's much more common to replace a ship with a more modern ship.
4. It also has been stated that she was destroyed in October of 2165. Would she be succeeded by a newer ship of the same name?
Sure, if the government wanted to do that. Or not, if they didn't.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

It's a fictional ship in novels. Which means unless Paramount makes a movie or TV series about it or it within it, then you can make up anything you want about it.

Plenty of fans do this.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

You keep asking, "Could x happen to non-canon ship y?" The simple answer is yes - whatever you ask could happen. The USS Whatthefuckareyoutalkingabout from some unread novel somewhere COULD be renamed the USS Stinkfinger and take over as flagship of the sewage fleet. It COULD be grounded inside a major city, decomissioned, and turned into an adult XXX theater. Here's a better question: why do you keep asking this? Are you looking for some validation for some idea? You can't get it by asking, because our opinion of some unbased fictional occurence is just as moot as the fictional occurence itself.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

He's asking/talking about Trek stuff... more than most do in here. Not sure why him looking for input/opinion from people that share an interest in that world is a bad thing. Even if he is just playing with little ships on his bed before going to sleep and comes up with situations that spawn odd-ball questions... or writing his own fan-fiction.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Jim wrote:He's asking/talking about Trek stuff... more than most do in here. Not sure why him looking for input/opinion from people that share an interest in that world is a bad thing. Even if he is just playing with little ships on his bed before going to sleep and comes up with situations that spawn odd-ball questions... or writing his own fan-fiction.
The problem is that he asks the same questions. He asks about some fictional ship in some book that probably most of us haven't read and then jumps off of there because that book mentioned a name in the book.

Then he asks us what the ship would be in the future. Or who the crew would be or what the ship's pet is.

And each time we tell him the same thing. That these ships could be anything he wants them to be. There is no set rule about them. Only the Enterprise has to be among the best.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

^^^^ This.

I have no problem with questions, but the questions he asks are weird. There are no actual answers for them other than whatever you want to make up.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

McAvoy wrote:
Jim wrote:He's asking/talking about Trek stuff... more than most do in here. Not sure why him looking for input/opinion from people that share an interest in that world is a bad thing. Even if he is just playing with little ships on his bed before going to sleep and comes up with situations that spawn odd-ball questions... or writing his own fan-fiction.
The problem is that he asks the same questions. He asks about some fictional ship in some book that probably most of us haven't read and then jumps off of there because that book mentioned a name in the book.

Then he asks us what the ship would be in the future. Or who the crew would be or what the ship's pet is.

And each time we tell him the same thing. That these ships could be anything he wants them to be. There is no set rule about them. Only the Enterprise has to be among the best.
I think that I discussed his first few questions (when he was in single digit post counts) then realized he was in left field and stopped bothering. They might be annoying, but they are topical... that is all that I am saying.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

They're only nominally topical, in that they refer to Star Trek. They are moot questions, however - it's not really a matter of debate to say, "If I made up a ship, could it be the ship I made it up?"
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:"If I made up a ship, could it be the ship I made it up?"
That is deep man...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Are you sure there aren't a couple of typos in this sentence? :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Are you sure there aren't a couple of typos in this sentence? :wink:
I am staring at this and I a have no idea. Is there any typos in there?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

There is an actual one, now that I look at it, but I think Seafort was referring to my supreme effort of self-control in not transposing the letter "p's" in that sentence with another letter.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Indeed.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.