Rear Admiral

Re: USS Vol'Rala (AGC-7-10), part II

Post by McAvoy »

Answer to the original post for the help of it:

1. Sure why not.

2. No

3. Have no idea.

4. Sure why not.

With that being said, anything written in a novel during the 22nd century probably can be safe to say that a at least a second ship will be named within the next 200 years.

With that being said, I will make the final say about this. Any ship name, any famous name made in the novels whether in the 22nd century, or 23rd or 24th may or may not have a ship named after them. Asking us or anyone the same question is pointless. It is a novel and with writers they will make up any name they choose.

It would be up to you to make up the idea behind why they would. It would be up to you what class it would be it would be up to you the history behind it. It would be up to you if the ship would be succeeded by another. It would be up to you on everything.

Here is the thing ultimately, it would be your own cannon. Not ours or anyone.

Now if you want to create a Nebula class USS A'll'of'us'dont'care of the Really'Dont'Care species then go for it. If you want to post a detailed history for us to read go for it.

But to speculate about a fictional ship on how it its name would be used in 200 years don't bother. You know as much as we do.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Meste17 wrote:Okay so I read up recently on the USS Vol'Rala AGC-7-10 from the recent Enterprise novels. Several questions pop in my head about the fate of the starship name and its relevance to the Star Trek franchise:

1. Could she possibly be made into a later ship in the 23rd or 24th centuries?
What is this obsession you seem to have with transplanting ships from one era to another? Over and over again people explain to you why this is a stupid idea, and a few days later you ask the exact same thing over again.

From now on, any time you want to ask this question about ANY ship, just say to yourself : "No. It's NEVER reasonable to do that."
2. Could she be canon?
Sure. All you'd need is for Paramount to make a movie or TV series and put the ship in it. Then it would be canon.
3. In the year 2161, the newly promoted Resthenar sh'Prenni became Vol'Rala's captain, when the Imperial Guard was integrated into the Federation Starfleet. Could this mean that she served in the Andorian Imperial Guard previously under a different name?
Why under a different name? What would be the point of that?
Because obviously the ship didn't carry the name USS Vol'Rala before, as it was mentioned in the novel that people seem to think that Admiral Jonathan Archer (who WAS captain of the first Starship Enterprise), or Admiral Thy'lek Shran (Who DID have dealings with the vessel and had obviously liked the pinkskin and his crew, and also have liked the vessel and had GREAT respect for it after seeing the images of previous Enterprises on Archer's wall in his ready room, and Archer explaining WHY they were there in the first place), had arranged for that to happen. So obviously it would possibly have served under a different name UNTIL the founding of the United Federation of Planets, with it being changed to Vol'Rala in honor of the legendary Earth vessel.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Is anybody else seeing these posts, or did I have a stroke?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It's not just you. I'm going to be having a stroke later on today...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Meste17 wrote:
Because obviously the ship didn't carry the name USS Vol'Rala before, as it was mentioned in the novel that people seem to think that Admiral Jonathan Archer (who WAS captain of the first Starship Enterprise), or Admiral Thy'lek Shran (Who DID have dealings with the vessel and had obviously liked the pinkskin and his crew, and also have liked the vessel and had GREAT respect for it after seeing the images of previous Enterprises on Archer's wall in his ready room, and Archer explaining WHY they were there in the first place), had arranged for that to happen. So obviously it would possibly have served under a different name UNTIL the founding of the United Federation of Planets, with it being changed to Vol'Rala in honor of the legendary Earth vessel.
Hang on, I've just finished the last couple "Rise of the Federation" books, and that wasn't the impression I got from them. I was under the impression that the Vol'Rala was a happy coincidence* and in fact part of the reason there wasn't another Enterprise until the Connie.

(*Vol' Rala in the books is an Andorian word that loosely translate as enterprise, to explain that to the people that haven't read them. Which I assume is everyone bar me and Meste17.)
Bite my shiny metal ass
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Griffin wrote:
Meste17 wrote:
Hang on, I've just finished the last couple "Rise of the Federation" books, and that wasn't the impression I got from them. I was under the impression that the Vol'Rala was a happy coincidence* and in fact part of the reason there wasn't another Enterprise until the Connie.

(*Vol' Rala in the books is an Andorian word that loosely translate as enterprise, to explain that to the people that haven't read them. Which I assume is everyone bar me and Meste17.)
Hang on. I will still need to read the novels, as most of the info I have lifted from Memory Beta. Now I will grant that you have read the latest novels and I haven't, but the article on that site clearly says that it was suspected by former Enterprise crewmember Travis Mayweather that Archer or Shran had arranged for that to happen. Idk if that would be the case here, though I certainly hope so, or else I would have to render what I saw on the Memory Beta article moot or otherwise incorrect.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Wait a tick... you're make suppositions based on a novel which you haven't yet read?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Dude, he's read memory beta...

That's like when you were in high school and would just read a story blurb anf write the book report.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Or Cliff Notes...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Meste17 wrote:Okay so I read up recently on the USS Vol'Rala AGC-7-10 from the recent Enterprise novels. Several questions pop in my head about the fate of the starship name and its relevance to the Star Trek franchise:

1. Could she possibly be made into a later ship in the 23rd or 24th centuries?
What is this obsession you seem to have with transplanting ships from one era to another? Over and over again people explain to you why this is a stupid idea, and a few days later you ask the exact same thing over again.

From now on, any time you want to ask this question about ANY ship, just say to yourself : "No. It's NEVER reasonable to do that."
2. Could she be canon?
Sure. All you'd need is for Paramount to make a movie or TV series and put the ship in it. Then it would be canon.
3. In the year 2161, the newly promoted Resthenar sh'Prenni became Vol'Rala's captain, when the Imperial Guard was integrated into the Federation Starfleet. Could this mean that she served in the Andorian Imperial Guard previously under a different name?
Why under a different name? What would be the point of that?
5. Would that successor ship be of the same class, or perhaps a new more powerful vessel?
Ships are rarely replaced with a ship of the same class. It's much more common to replace a ship with a more modern ship.
4. It also has been stated that she was destroyed in October of 2165. Would she be succeeded by a newer ship of the same name?
Sure, if the government wanted to do that. Or not, if they didn't.

Oh man, this is like the early days with Chakat... But Graham, what if the ship became a giant Chakat, which as you know, is immortal, so they could easily be refitted! :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?