NX class torpedo launchers

Enterprise
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

NX class torpedo launchers

Post by alexmann »

I was reading through some old threads in the role play forum and in the enterprise roleplay in this thread: http://ditl.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1657 they were talking about the number of torpedo tubes (amongst other things). That got me thinking and wondering how many do they have? I had recently found a load of picturs on drexfiles of the NX class cgi model and put them together. I then marked out the number of torpedo tubes and I found six confirmed, four possibles. Now if the possibles are launchers too, this is 3-5 launchers higher than was discussed.

File is 2300 x 1639.

If you cannot see it properly go to here http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x36 ... nchers.jpg
ImageImage
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: NX class torpedo launchers

Post by Reliant121 »

The problem with the 4 potential launchers is they'd launch almost directly into the rear of the Saucer section. Theoretically that shouldn't be a problem, you'd expect the torpedoes to change course after launch anyway, but trek consistently shows Photonics/Photons to be more direct fire projectile weapons than tracking torpedoes.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

IIRC, they have been shown to track at least once or twice. I think it was in DS9 but i'm not sure.
ImageImage
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

In one episode we actually see torps come from the area of 5, 6. As far as I know we never see them directly fire form there.

However, it seems they put a torp launcher in the pod thing when they upgraded to the PTs. And since the upgrade they never used the rear saucer ones again. :?

As for the possible launchers, not only were they never shown to fire, but hey are not large enough (based on the size of the other launchers) to be used as such. They look more like windows that were filled in.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Problem too is that the photonic torpedos ar emuch larger and of a different shape completely than the originals. Something like that would require extensive drydocking to do. Not something you can just replace a few parts with and call it day.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:Problem too is that the photonic torpedos ar emuch larger and of a different shape completely than the originals. Something like that would require extensive drydocking to do. Not something you can just replace a few parts with and call it day.
She was drydocked for refitting before going into the Expanse - they gave her the full weapons fit intended to be introduced with Colombia.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

If you look carefully at the full size one you can see the phase cannon ports too. I may label them sometime.
ImageImage
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Problem too is that the photonic torpedos ar emuch larger and of a different shape completely than the originals. Something like that would require extensive drydocking to do. Not something you can just replace a few parts with and call it day.
She was drydocked for refitting before going into the Expanse - they gave her the full weapons fit intended to be introduced with Colombia.
I meant for a long time. Something like that sort of refit should have took much longer than what we were shown. Yeah, she was given parts intended for the Columbia but in they would still have to reconstruct many of the launchers inside and outside to use those torpedos.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

McAvoy wrote:I meant for a long time. Something like that sort of refit should have took much longer than what we were shown. Yeah, she was given parts intended for the Columbia but in they would still have to reconstruct many of the launchers inside and outside to use those torpedos.
This tempts me to make another "Fix Enterprise" thread.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:I meant for a long time. Something like that sort of refit should have took much longer than what we were shown. Yeah, she was given parts intended for the Columbia but in they would still have to reconstruct many of the launchers inside and outside to use those torpedos.
Not necessarily. Assuming the class was designed with PTs in mind they could easily have set up the launchers so they could be slid out as a unit and replaced with the new ones.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

I agree. It would have made sense for them to build the torp launchers as modules and then they could just take them out in one go really easily, especially with transporters.
ImageImage
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

alexmann wrote:I agree. It would have made sense for them to build the torp launchers as modules and then they could just take them out in one go really easily, especially with transporters.
Assuming that transporters are accurate enough and have the capacity to do so. They'd be far better off simply designing them so that the old tubes could be slid out and the new ones slid in as a dockyard operation.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well that makes the most sense. Modern planes are similar. Take for example the Super Hornet. When they were first introduced, they had very much the same equipment as a normal Hornet. Over time up to today, each part and piece of equipment were swapped out with recently developed technlogy to eventually there is a much larger gap between a Hornet and Super Hornet.

It is the one thing I did like about Enterprise was that it was basically a testbed for new technologies.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Which would, in turn, mean that it makes sense for the components to be modular as in the F/A-18. However, making sense is something that seems to be lacking in 'Trek design.

I also agree that ENT-era transporters are both too inaccurate and too mistrusted by most people to be used for construction purposes.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

For that matter, is there any evidence they're even capable of beaming an item from pad to a remote location, rather than vice versa?