Archer's Worse Mistakes?

Enterprise
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Archer's Worse Mistakes?

Post by Monroe »

Despite him being a wuss and not using lethal force he hasn't made that many. As I mentioned in another thread he went two years without losing a single crew member. Not even Kirk can claim that.

Though on the other hand he's done some pretty silly screwups being the first to explore, the makers said they wanted Archer to make a lot of mistakes. So which one do you think is his worse screw up? And was it his fault or just humanity's n00bness in space?
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

i actually like him, for not being sycophantic with vulcan high command, enough in fact,so that i blindly ignore his mistakes lol
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah that's the thing about Archer he's wrong often when it comes to first contact and things like that but in the long run he always makes the right descions even when at the time me as the viewer is like, 'WTF? Kill the xindi!" lol.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

To be honest, I can't off the top of my head think of any mistakes Archer's made. A few bad calls maybe, such as going back to that planet to collect Reed's communicator, but nothing that could be clearly called as a mistake at the time he made it. Then again, I gave up on Enterprise not far into Season 2, got into it again for the latter half of Season 3, and the stopped again, so I don't have as good a knowledge of Enterprise as I do the others.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

You, know he never really made any mistakes. A few bad calls, but everyone has a bad day now and then. Now, if we were talking character flaws that would be easier.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Best I could think of was how he let himself get captured by the bounty hunter, but he got out of that one.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

For the first real deep-space explorer of humanity... he could've done a lot worse, and he did a lot of good too.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

He choose to be captain of a ship a hundred years to advanced for the time.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I agree with most of you - I didn't really see any big mistakes per se, just a few cases of bad judgement easily explained by the lack of precedent he had.

Bakula's big mistake, however, was signing that contract.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Minnsky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Minnsky »

I liked archer for the first episode, then i didn't like him at all, he just didn't have that captain feel to him like Tucker did.

But if i had to put it down to one mistake i would say not saving those people in Dear Doctor.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

His worst mistake was listening to Phlox and withholding a cure that could have saved an entire advanced civilisation, just to follow the Prime Directive which didn't even exist!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah this was supposed to be them learning not to mess with people, apparently they already know.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Not to mention that the whole moral 'dilema' was completely screwed up, anyone with a sense of morality would have told Phlox to take a hike.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Minnsky
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Minnsky »

Right, and then in 2 seasons show that by helping them they had in fact hurt them in some way. THAT would be a good reason for the prime directive.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Like given them the cure then the next season they're amazed to find out the cure is actually toxic and they just sped up the process killing them all. That'd be neat.

My question is this, how does a species just not work anymore from a genetic defect?