Why Seven of Nine Is Actually More Than Just Eye Candy

Voyager
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Why Seven of Nine Is Actually More Than Just Eye Candy

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Also... Jeri Ryan saw it and agreed with him so...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Why Seven of Nine Is Actually More Than Just Eye Candy

Post by McAvoy »

He is not wrong on all accounts.

No one outside The Doctor and Seven had true character developments that made them different from start to finish.

He is also correct TNG suffered from this as well. With Worf and Data really being the only ones that changed.

She is still eye candy anyway. Wearing those skintight outfits with heels. Versus the aborg kids being able to wear normal clothing.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Apparently Jeri Ryan tweeted at him saying he was damn right, he was sooooo pleased with himself. But then I probably would be too if Jeri Ryan ever noticed me.

Voyager was a weird time for Ryan. She was hired for the sex appeal, obviously, but she was also a great actress. And at some point after she joined, she got into a relationship with Brannon Braga. Kate Mulgrew was reeeealy unhappy about her being there, especially as the show subsequently swung Seven-centric. And from all accounts, she wasn't shy about letting Ryan know how she felt. In a way I don't blame her, because she'd sacrificed a lot for Voyager - it kept her away from her kids for almost seven years. Now she saw herself all but swept aside.

So Ryan found herself in a very hostile workplace. She almost quit, but just as she was going to she found out that he mother had cancer. So she knew she had hefty medical bills heading her way, and stayed on to pay them.

I believe they've patched things up somewhat since, for whatever that's worth.

Then you had Robert Beltran, who only took the job to work with Genevive Bujold, who was replaced by Mulgrew a week in. His contempt for the show is legendary. He tried to quit by telling his agent to make a ridiculously high pay demand to renew his contract - and they paid without blinking. But the last few seasons he'd so obviously checked out. He got a couple of lines per episode, usually, and was perfectly happy with that.

Voyager really wasn't a very happy show.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

Seven of nine is just there for eye candy? I am okay with this. Before anyone berates me for this, please believe that I mean no disrespect to her as an actress, I do find her role played well. Aesthetics aside, I felt her acting was/is great.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:12 am Apparently Jeri Ryan tweeted at him saying he was damn right, he was sooooo pleased with himself. But then I probably would be too if Jeri Ryan ever noticed me.

Voyager was a weird time for Ryan. She was hired for the sex appeal, obviously, but she was also a great actress. And at some point after she joined, she got into a relationship with Brannon Braga. Kate Mulgrew was reeeealy unhappy about her being there, especially as the show subsequently swung Seven-centric. And from all accounts, she wasn't shy about letting Ryan know how she felt. In a way I don't blame her, because she'd sacrificed a lot for Voyager - it kept her away from her kids for almost seven years. Now she saw herself all but swept aside.

So Ryan found herself in a very hostile workplace. She almost quit, but just as she was going to she found out that he mother had cancer. So she knew she had hefty medical bills heading her way, and stayed on to pay them.

I believe they've patched things up somewhat since, for whatever that's worth.

Then you had Robert Beltran, who only took the job to work with Genevive Bujold, who was replaced by Mulgrew a week in. His contempt for the show is legendary. He tried to quit by telling his agent to make a ridiculously high pay demand to renew his contract - and they paid without blinking. But the last few seasons he'd so obviously checked out. He got a couple of lines per episode, usually, and was perfectly happy with that.

Voyager really wasn't a very happy show.
Garret Wong apparently contributed to unhappiness of the show too.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:50 pm Garret Wong apparently contributed to unhappiness of the show too.
Originally they were going to fire him. That's why he gets infected in Scorpion, the infection was going to kill him. But in the season break he won a "sexiest actor" poll in some magazine, so they decided he had to stay and fired Kes instead.

Lien had a rough time afterwards. She's had many brushes with the law, been arrested many times. Not sure, but it seems alcohol/drug related.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:21 am
McAvoy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:50 pm Garret Wong apparently contributed to unhappiness of the show too.
Originally they were going to fire him. That's why he gets infected in Scorpion, the infection was going to kill him. But in the season break he won a "sexiest actor" poll in some magazine, so they decided he had to stay and fired Kes instead.

Lien had a rough time afterwards. She's had many brushes with the law, been arrested many times. Not sure, but it seems alcohol/drug related.
I think he was being fired due to that he was always late and maybe back talked to the directors and writers. Rumor has it he was kept an ensign due to it.

Lien I think also suffers from bipolar disorder. Drugs and alcohol were related definitely
I think she had a couple of DUIs, disorderlg conduct (being top less in front of minors). I think this all started when she stopped working. She did do voice acting up to a point.