Voyager
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

SF Debris: Friendship One

Post by Nutso »

http://blip.tv/sf-debris-opinionated-re ... ew-6646810
VOY: Friendship One Review

Opinionated Voyager Episode Guide looks at Friendship One, following up humanity's first attempt to reach out to other species. The result was planetary catastrophe for some aliens who believe humans are a calculating bunch of hypocritical conquerors. To prove them wrong, Starfleet sends Janeway to go talk to them. For some reason, the aliens' opinion does not change
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: SF Debris: Friendship One

Post by McAvoy »

IMO a overwhelmingly average Voyager episode. Friendship One looks exactly like a NASA craft of today. Not a Star Trek 21st century craft.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:Friendship One looks exactly like a NASA craft of today.
It looks like a slightly modified Phoenix. Which, given it was only a few years after it, makes sense.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

We never got a great look at it, but to me it seemed to fit the era okay, the thing I find hard to believe is it crash landed and still stayed in one piece after a few centuries in space.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Friendship One looks exactly like a NASA craft of today.
It looks like a slightly modified Phoenix. Which, given it was only a few years after it, makes sense.
Ahh... yes I forgot about the nacelles. Oops.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Just realised something.

How fast would the Friendship One have to be going to have crashed on that planet by 2077? Lets give a breathing room of a minimum 5 years prior to Voyager's arrival, for the build-up before their 'armageddon'

Loaded up the calculator on DITL - now as we don't know how far they've travelled in Season 7 - but ST Dimension worked out that they'd be at 30286 LY to go by end of Season 6, and we're pretty late in the year 2377, so the yearly average distance of 438? yeah just say 30,000 at most for distance from earth.

2377-2067 = 310 years. That's the magic number we need to be no greater than.
So let's fire up this sites' calculator. First via D+T=W. d=30,000, t=305 (5 years gap or so.) This produces: 98.4 c which is, Warp Factor TNG 3.9614 and Cochrane, 4.6161
For a probe built In 2067.
When, a hundred years later, building a warp five engine was a 'big thing'. I'm presuming ENT used Cochrane, not TNG's scale. They'd NEED that engine for the probe!

Okay, there's some exaggeration in that statement, but not much!. the NX-01 Enterprise, on TOS scale warp factor 5 is 125 x c. Friendship One, almost a century earlier, is around 98... OR FASTER, because that probe had to be there for quite some time for what we saw in the episode, but five years still doesn't, to me, feel enough for them to have reverse engineered the concept of antimatter-fueled power generation etc and then to have suffered a "fair amount" of time post-Armageddon. so 300 years or less transit time produces 100 x c or more - and if we use 29,958, the 'reasoned' distance for when the episode takes place, that's not much distance for providing "breathing room".

personally, I didn't watch the whole episode, as before I did, given that I missed its premiere so by time I had a chance to 'catch up' I'd heard about it on the internet, I didn't like how Carey was killed off here.

Mind you, I'm reading a story where it's chakotay who died... so... I dont actually mind it now. ... haha I don't hate Chakotay, just how he was treated by the show writers.