The Nth degree.. my favorite and my current nitpicker!

The Next Generation
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Nth degree.. my favorite and my current nitpicker!

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

The issues I have developed with Nth degree:
1. why did they have a shuttle craft go out and investigate the mysterious space probe?? Anyone else remember even a handful of episodes where the captain and/or command staff was all, “this seems dangerous to the giant super powerful enterprise... lets send out a less defensive, armed, capable vessel! Bingo!! Shuttlecraft!”.

2. Why does the Geordi’s visor filter out the Brain Enchance-O-Ray?

It can be transmitted to computers via various instruments and detectors, eye balls seem the least likely to actually receive the info as our peepers are only capable of seeing a fraction of the electromagnetic spectrum. In fact, Geordi’s VISOR is actually perfect for the smarty pants flashlight! It would take all of that massive amount of information and store it in the computer buffers, gradually allowing him to receive the mental upgrade.

3. What is up with the enterprise’s interface with the Argus Array?

It’s like they networked through an Apple 2e?! Seriously, if that’s the processing ability of the computer, they need to upgrade it or retire that POC! And yes, you could argue that, “well 0100101, the computer was damaged by the probe and wasn’t working correctly”. Fine, I’ll counter with, “the memory core is still intact and just needs a new program subroutine”. See? Program. -> interface.

The interface (hardware) was slow
(think 1980’s dial-up modems, slow)
Not the program!
The program was damaged. Fact,
but not the connecting hardware.
That should’ve been fast as heck
still????

3a. The slow interface was so Barclay could run off and plug his brain into the computer. Which again.. WHY?

If the Argus interface is the issue than fixing that would be the 1st and most important I.e. paramount! to address. However, If the issue is the enterprise’s computer, ducking fix it O master of “knowing more about the ships inner workings than anyone on board” (quote from Riker). Did he really need to plug his brain into the computer to communicate with the slow-as-tar-in-winter-interface? Or did the writers have him do this so he could eventually take over the ship? My bet is on the latter choice.

4. What about the super fast cellular scanning imager idea Barclay came up with??
Once crusher discovered Barclay’s brain was pushing the 4-digit IQ range, she should’ve been all, “heeeeey about that cellular imaging device you wanted to set up for me? Let’s go talk about it while you read me Shakespeare on the holodeck”.

No? Pffft.

Crusher resided instead to think to herself. “It’s probably Barclay dreaming up fantasy stuff, who would want a device that can speed up a medical instruments required time to process something from approximately 12 hours down to maybe one hour? No one”. Then she laughed to herself and never brought the idea up again.

5. Gravity-biased travel.
The ship did this without ANY special modification to her equipment. Traveled 100’s to 1,000’s of lightyears in a few seconds by Barclays use of what was already on hand. Then he forgot it, the crew forgot it, the cytherians sent the enterprise back to the Alpha quadrant and no one EVER speaks of it. Again! Seriously?

These are some of the issues I’ve come up with regarding one of my favorite episodes! Can anyone point out others? I have more but wanted to also give you guys and gals a chance to poke at it too!
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: The Nth degree.. my favorite and my current nitpicker!

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

Annnnnd months later.... no one replies or comments. Hmm. Must be on the same connection that the argus array is, just have to wait about 2 years for the signal to get back. ;)
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”