Back Trek- Behind The Scenes- Q Who

The Next Generation
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Back Trek- Behind The Scenes- Q Who

Post by Nutso »

Click the Youtube link to see Kim Bailey in the comments talking a little about the FX of the Borg Cube.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Back Trek- Behind The Scenes- Q Who

Post by McAvoy »

Got to admit I love his Back Trek segments. I listen to it when I drive and his voice works too.

Though this one was a bit light on the info.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

I liked how they did the reverse-melting to make the regeneration. Practical effects

For the episode itself, it was nicely terrifying.

As far as the Borg going to Earth, it could have been the Borg meeting the Enterprise-D deep in the galaxy, and wondering how the Ent-D got there. Since the stuff they picked up along the Neutral Zone didn't have the data, they decided to go to the Federation center to get that data.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Coalition wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:00 am I liked how they did the reverse-melting to make the regeneration. Practical effects

As far as the Borg going to Earth, it could have been the Borg meeting the Enterprise-D deep in the galaxy, and wondering how the Ent-D got there. Since the stuff they picked up along the Neutral Zone didn't have the data, they decided to go to the Federation center to get that data.
I have never been able to conjure up the imagination need to square that one, the Borg last being in the Neutral Zone but, the Ent-D being sent into deep space to meet them. I assumed that maybe it was a scout sphere that ripped the colony, reunited in deep space with the Cube, then the Cube headed the Federations way afterwards.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:13 am
Coalition wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:00 am I liked how they did the reverse-melting to make the regeneration. Practical effects

I have never been able to conjure up the imagination need to square that one, the Borg last being in the Neutral Zone but, the Ent-D being sent into deep space to meet them. I assumed that maybe it was a scout sphere that ripped the colony, reunited in deep space with the Cube, then the Cube headed the Federations way afterwards.
I agree. Though I think it has to be bigger than a scout ship of whatever kind. I kinda think the cube that we saw in Q Who is a different cube from Best of Both Worlds. What if, the ship that was in the Neutral Zone carving up colonies is actually the Best of Both Worlds cube? That once it did its thing in the Neutral Zone it went off somewhere else. Maybe met up with another Borg ship to disperse the new Borg colonists they assimilated. Then they went back to attack the Federation since E-D made official contact with the Borg in Q Who.

Maybe the attack in the Neutral Zone was a way of gauging the Romulans and the Federation in some way. They found that the Federation through the colony and then the E-D as the biggest threat. I'd always imagine the Borg being curious or even confused on how the E-D showed up and then left in Q Who.

Like they had the Enterprise dead to rights in that episode, they were minutes away from getting their prize. Then the Enterprise somehow spins at super high speeds. Got to wonder what the Borg were thinking.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:01 am
Nutso wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:13 am

I agree. Though I think it has to be bigger than a scout ship of whatever kind. I kinda think the cube that we saw in Q Who is a different cube from Best of Both Worlds. What if, the ship that was in the Neutral Zone carving up colonies is actually the Best of Both Worlds cube? That once it did its thing in the Neutral Zone it went off somewhere else. Maybe met up with another Borg ship to disperse the new Borg colonists they assimilated. Then they went back to attack the Federation since E-D made official contact with the Borg in Q Who.
I can accept this. Even Borg Cubes need to offload cargo.
Maybe the attack in the Neutral Zone was a way of gauging the Romulans and the Federation in some way. They found that the Federation through the colony and then the E-D as the biggest threat.
Maybe not biggest threat but, biggest addition to the Collective, since the Federation is made up of so many different species and technologies compared to the Romulan Star Empire.
I'd always imagine the Borg being curious or even confused on how the E-D showed up and then left in Q Who. Like they had the Enterprise dead to rights in that episode, they were minutes away from getting their prize. Then the Enterprise somehow spins at super high speeds. Got to wonder what the Borg were thinking.
Maybe that insane "warp spin" technology gave the Borg heightened incentive to pursue the Federation. That tech moves faster than warp speed, it would be useful to the Collective so they hightailed it in a bee line to Earth. Thanks a lot Q!
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

It's my head canon. It's my only way of explaining the Borg being in the Neutral Zone without doing the Borg thing to other powers. They were there to learn about the local powers and wyether it was worthwhile to assimilate them at that point.

The Super Spin Warp Drive E-D had to make them very curious about it. Unless the Borg are aware of the Q. But that opens the can of worms that if the Borg are aware of the Q, would they try their best to assimilate one of them? Or would they know it would be a futile thing to do?