Another cannon, cooler this time

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another cannon, cooler this time

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I love how this turned out. It's from the universe that the Town/Hill class ships I posted long ago are in, essentially a combination laser/missile turret. Though I've modified it from the original design pretty significantly, just because some things are a lot easier to do in Blender. Really the missiles should have a different engine on the back... I drew them with Coalition-style Propulsors without thinking. Will fix that in the next iteration, lol.

This is the first time I've done detailing of the magazine/loading aspect. Each pair of missile launchers is fed by a ring of 12 missiles underneath, which are held on rails mounted on a revolving drum. The drum brings a pair into position, a door overhead slides back, and the missiles slide up the rail into the launchers above. Quite cool, if I do say so myself. I even put bolts on the turret stand, though I've made the deck itself invisible so that you can see the whole thing.

For a sense of scale, from deck to top the turret is about ten feet tall. The entire model has 2.84 million polygons, which is enough that my computer struggles to cope with dragging the thing around to edit it. Dammit, I need a faster computer!

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...