Town Class Destroyer

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Town Class Destroyer

Post by Graham Kennedy »

A destroyer to complement the Hill Class corvette. This one is loosely based on the RN's C class destroyer.

Incidentally the naming convention I plan to use for these ships is a themed one - all the Hill Class are named for hills, all the Town class are named for towns, etc. Just to be a bit different, really.

The Town Class Destroyer :

Type : Destroyer
Power system : Quad zero point reactor, output 4.84 GW
Engine : 2 x Propulsor; Sublight 250 g, FTL 1,500 x c
Range : 70 Light years at 600 x c
Dimensions : Length 105 m; Beam 10.65 m; Height 12.55 m (hull) 25.4 m (o/a)
Mass : 2,640 metric tons
Complement : 265
Armament : 2 x 200 mm (8.5 GJ) Pulse Graser Cannon
1 x 850 MW Maser Cannon
6 x 300 MW Maser CIWS
3 x 75 cm Torpedo Tubes (18 reloads carried)

Sensors : 1 x Matador Radar
1 x Tambor Passive FTL sensor
1 x Mark 201 Gun Director
2 x Mark 190 Gun Director
6 x Mark 29 Gun Director

Notes :

The Town class destroyers were built as part of the Kappan's Military Emergency Programme; they were intended to be much larger and more capable counterparts to the Hill class corvettes whilst employing common systems where possible. They were fitted with quad Zero point boosted reactors, giving them four times the power output of the Hills, and twin engines. As importantly, the hull form featured the "axe head" bow for greatly improved FTL capability, giving them a top speed some 67% greater. Range and endurance was also improved considerably.

Habitability is considered to be excellent on the ships, and although only lightly armoured their hulls and damage resistance systems are built to full military specification.

The ship :

(Click image for full scale)

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Town Class Destroyer

Post by Teaos »

It's funy I keep comparing these ships to cruise ships I worked on, some are similar or even smaller than almost I the ships I was on.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:It's funy I keep comparing these ships to cruise ships I worked on, some are similar or even smaller than almost I the ships I was on.
Heh, cool. Why don't you post them here? Would be interesting to compare.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

My own universe(s) tend to be about in the 20 megaton range for the largest capital ships.

I really enjoyed reading your work on the Coalition Universe, and this seems like a neat idea too. Look forward to seeing more :-)
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."