Name unknown species?

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name unknown species?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Been doing a lot of work on the site recently, mostly snapping pics and improving the timeline. In the course of it, I've noticed just how many species there are with unknown names; there's upwards of 250 species on the site that are just "DITL Species #xxxx".

So, a question - how would people feel about coming up with names for them? We have the facility to mark names as speculative and annotate them with a comment along the lines of "We just made this up to have something to call them", so it wouldn't be like we're going to confuse people that that's the "real" name of the species.

On the downside, it would add a lot more speculative stuff to the site. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it might be something people wouldn't like?

If we do this, I'd be very happy to take suggestions for names to use. It gets hard to think up alien-sounding words when you're doing a whole bunch of them, so if anybody knows a minor species they particularly like, just post it here and I can add it easily.

What say you? Good idea, bad idea? Something you'd like to see/take part in, or not?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Name unknown species?

Post by Mikey »

I can't say that there's any unnamed species that I'd think of offhand to try and name; but if I were asked to name a given species, I'd sure give it a go.

I don't think a speculative name, so long as it's clearly labeled as such, is any better or worse than calling it "DITL species X."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer