Recurring clock issues

Discuss the site here - suggestions, comments, complaints, etc.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Recurring clock issues

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

I've noticed that the DITL clock tends to run a bit fast; every so often it seems Ian will set it back but as the weeks pass it will creep back up again. While I'm sure the current gap of five minutes or so will be addressed in due course I'm just a bit curious about why it keeps happening. It's fair to say that the real-time clock chip in any given machine may run fast or slow, but PCs can be set to automatically synchronize with an internet time server backed by an atomic clock every week or so (e.g., time.windows.com or time.nist.gov). Can a web server not keep synchronized without causing errors also?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Recurring clock issues

Post by IanKennedy »

Yes, but it wasn't turned on. It is now.
email, ergo spam
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Recurring clock issues

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Thanks. :)
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who