Search
Cookie Usage Statistics Colour Key Sudden Death Monthly Poll Caption Comp eMail Author Shops
Ships Fleets Weaponry Species People Timelines Calculators Photo Galleries
Stations Design Lineage Size Charts Battles Science / Tech Temporal Styling Maps / Politics
Articles Reviews Lists Recreation Search Site Guide What's New Forum
Ship Related
Constitution Class Klingon Battlecruiser Klingon Bird of Prey Magazine Capacity NX Class Phase Cannon Sovereign Changes Star Trek : Discovery The Defiant The USS Franklin
Culture / Philosophy
Borg History Money Monoculture Religion in Trek Technology Levels The Ba'Ku Land Grab Trills / Dax
General Technology
Abrams Speed! Antimatter Phasers Romulan Warp Drive The Holodeck Torpedo Yields Transwarp Theories Tri-cobalt device Warp in a Solar System Warp Speed Anomalies
Energy And Power
D'Deridex Class Weapons Galaxy Class Shields Galaxy Class Total Output Galaxy Class Weapon Output Genesis Weapon Power Husnock Weapons Intrepid Class Total Output TOS Type 2 Phaser Power Trilithium Torpedoes Weapon Power
Miscellaneous
Dangling Threads Enterprise Ramblings Eugenics War Dates Franz Joseph's Star Trek Here be Remans? Live fast... Write Badly Maps Materials Nemesis Script Random Musings Scaling Issues Size of the Federation Stardates The Ceti Alpha Conundrum The Size of Starfleet Trek XI Issues

Trill

NotesImagesDatapoints
TimelinePeople
Universe : Prime Timeline
Species Name : Trill1
Political Affiliation : Federation2
Quadrant : Alpha

Trills are one of the very few joined species known in the alpha quadrant. Two separate intelligent species have evolved on the Trill home world - the hosts and the symbionts.1 The hosts have two distinct races. The first, or alpha race, comprises approximately 10% of the Trill population; these are distinguishable by their pronounced forehead ridges.1 The second, or beta race, comprise the remaining 90% of the population. Betas are easily identifiable by a pattern of skin markings which extend from the forehead down the side of the face3 and all the way down the body.4 These spots move and change gradually over time, although they remain in the same region of the body.5 Both of these races are known as the Trill Hosts.6

The Symbionts are small, sluglike creatures who live underwater for most of their life. The Symbionts are extremely long lived and very intelligent, but lack any kind of limbs or tool-using ability.7

Some thousands of years ago the Trill began living as a joined species - the Hosts developed the ability to physically join with the Symbionts, linking their nervous systems together.6 The effects of this are different between the two races of Host; with the alphas the Symbiont totally submerges the Hosts personality upon joining, essentially using the body as a home for its own mind. Alphas tend to be less physically robust than betas; for example, many alphas are extremely sensitive to the energy processes involved in transporters, and using this technology would cause fatal damage to the Symbiont.1 For this reason betas are the preferred recipients in the joinings.

Betas also have some difficulties due to the joining process. Betas become physically dependant on the Host within 93 hours of the joining; after this period, removing the Symbiont is fatal to the Host.8 After a joining the mind of a beta is not submerged by the Host; the two separate minds merge, forming a new personality who is a combination of both the Host and Symbiont.9 This can cause severe psychological problems if the two minds are incompatible, resulting in rejection of the Host after only a few days - a rejection which often causes the death of the Host. Only one in every few thousand Hosts are suitable to be joined, and these must go through an exhaustive series of tests and training in order to qualify.7

After the death of the Hosts the Symbiont is removed and placed into a new Host, carrying into the new joining all the personality and memories of the old. Many Symbionts have lived in this manner for centuries, accumulating experiences from many different lifetimes.6


Colour key

Canon source Backstage source Novel source DITL speculation

References

# Series Season Source Comment
1 TNG 4 The Host
2 DS9 1 Emissary
3 Example : Jadzia Dax
4 DS9 3 Meridian
5 The spot pattern painted onto Ms. Farrel was different each time
6 Generic canonical information
7 DS9 3 Equilibrium
8 DS9 2 Invasive Procedures
9 DS9 1 Dax
Series : TNG Season 4 (Disc 5)
Episode : The Host
Series : DS9 Season 1 (Disc 1)
Episode : Emissary
Source : Example : Jadzia Dax
Series : DS9 Season 3 (Disc 2)
Episode : Meridian
Source : The spot pattern painted onto Ms. Farrel was different each time
Source : Generic canonical information
Series : DS9 Season 3 (Disc 1)
Episode : Equilibrium
Series : DS9 Season 2 (Disc 1)
Episode : Invasive Procedures
Series : DS9 Season 1 (Disc 2)
Episode : Dax


© Graham & Ian Kennedy Page views : 20,643 Last updated : 15 Mar 2013