Today I Watched...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by IanKennedy »

Well "Dream Scenario" was exactly as advertised. Weird and turned into an almost sci-fi-esc movie towards the end...

The Marvels was pretty hectic and seemed short. At 1 hour 45 mins it is shorter than the previous shortest Thor : Dark World at 1 hour 52 mins.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The Creator: an interesting spin on the AI vs Humans trope..a few familiar actors (Gemma Chan, Allison Janey), plenty of CGI, and the conundrum of sacrifice for the greater good of one kind or all kind.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Wow, I didn't recognise Gemma Chan in that movie. Not the first time she's been involved in a story about AI. Look out for "Humans", British near future sci-fi which ran for 3 seasons. Being British there are only 8 episodes a season.

The location of the flying wing thing was completely nonsensical in that movie. A shuttle takes off in LA and a few moments later ends up docking with the flying wing. Next we know the very same wing is in Vietnam bombing people. It gets damaged and crashes back in LA. Boy does that thing get around.
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Watching Justice League Warworld. Not impressed with this latest version of the DCAU.

One thing that is bothering me is Jensen Akles of Supernatural Dean Winchester fame is now doing Batman. He is using his Dean voice for him. To me it doesn't fit Batman. I have heard other Non Conroy voice actors before and they did a good job.

Maybe it's just to recognizable for me especially considering Jensen's natural voice is different but Dean's voice to me is Dean. Maybe considering Batman in this movie isn't really playing Batman in full costume but I think if Jensen used his regular voice as Bruce Wayne and his Dean voice as Batman it might be better.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I'm doing a bit of a movie marathon at home this week, as Irene is away walking the south downs. Today I watched:

- Galaxy Quest
- Lake Placid

Only now do I realise that both have Jed Rees in them. I suppose I could round the set off with Deadpool.

Looking at his credits I'm fascinated by a movies called "Assassin Banana" with the following write-up:

"After seeing his wife brutally murdered by Dr. Tomato's henchmen, billionaire banana Chick del Monte fights crime as masked vigilante Assassin Banana, hell bent on revenge."

He apparently voices "Dr. Tomato"!
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Watched Blast from the Past. I got up to where Branden Fraser went up to the real world and then stopped. Lost interest and then decided to watch Saw X.

The ending of the movie is a bit of a mess to me. For example, the bad lady survived but I am assuming she is locked in that room with her dead lover she killed.

But the big thing was blood boarding part of it. They don't really make it that clear how it was supposed to go. I eventually figured it out after a third watching of that scene. The kid wasn't supposed to be there and Jigsaw and his Apprentice were supposed to be on it. With Jigsaw assuming Big Bad Lady putting them on there while she goes to get the money.

I wonder how he would react if she told one of them to grab the money instead of her doing it herself.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Oppenheimer: great film, so many wonderful performances!

Trolls Band Together: silly animated sequel, some very funny 'boy band' moments throughout.

Leo: Adam Sandler as a lizard classroom pet, who fears he is dying without seeing the world outside the school...very silly, musical numbers are dumb, good lessons for kids.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Oppenheimer - Yes it was great. But I found that Barbie had more lasting appeal, partially because Oppenheimer was so long.

Trolls Band Together - I saw that yesterday. As you say pretty silly, but fun.

Wish - Disney's 100 anniversary movie. It was OK, but it wasn't anywhere near as good as Frozen.

Napoleon - Another in a line of movies from Apple. Yes the computer / iPhone company. To support their streaming service they've been getting acclaimed directors to make movies. They're releasing them in the cinema and once finished they will move to their streaming service. Much in the way that Netflix has been doing. Napoleon is directed by Ridley Scott. It makes a pretty good movie and although it isn't totally accurate, it does give an insight into his life. Worth a watch.

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes - An interesting prequel toe the original 3.5 movies. It is set at the time of the 10th Hunger games and shows the early life of Snow, who one day goes on to be president of Panem. Some interesting stuff here and pretty decent performances from all involved. Broken down into four chapters you can see Snow's development through each phase.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Free Guy - Pretty silly but great fun. Especially for anyone who has ever played a video game.
email, ergo spam
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I'm not sure if it is okay to mentioned series on here, but I recently got into Lucifer, and it is fantastic. Almost finished season 1.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:54 pm I'm not sure if it is okay to mentioned series on here, but I recently got into Lucifer, and it is fantastic. Almost finished season 1.
Loved it! Really well done through all the seasons!
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

T'Pau wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:43 amLoved it! Really well done through all the seasons!
Excellent, I am glad there is lots more of it to enjoy then :)
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:54 pm I'm not sure if it is okay to mentioned series on here...
No problem at all. :)
email, ergo spam
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:54 pm I'm not sure if it is okay to mentioned series on here, but I recently got into Lucifer, and it is fantastic. Almost finished season 1.
Its great. I don't want to spoil it for you but there are some choice picks for who plays certain people/beings later in the series.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The Holdovers: wonderful film about boarding school kid(s) stuck there over the holidays with a teacher they despise.