Pilly's you're pal.

In the real world
Uzume
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Pilly's you're pal.

Post by Uzume »

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=3 ... 1135114504

On a "mental" note, in the good ol' days people either delt the cards given or drank heavily. For example ADHD - multi tasker, OCD - engineer, OBD - salesman or lawyer.
Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter. - Anonymous
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Meh. Prescriptions are just the new whiskey, or the new Lady H. The human condition has just gotten an HMO, that's all.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Uzume
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Uzume »

Mikey, I my self agree with you. My main concern is over-medicating our children. Laudanum is probably to blame for alot of our current phisical defects, what is frelling with the brain chemestry going to bring us in 100 years?

Like I mentioned, I've been on pain management for nine years.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I don't think messing with kids' brain chemistry is ever a good idea.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It seems like there will be a thalidomide for every generation. The problem is not just over-medication; it is over-diagnosing. When I was young (and Galen was dissecting corpses) there was no ADD, and thusly no ritalin, or caffeinating young kids. There were bad kids, and they were "medicated" with a swat on the backside.

In addition, the benefits of any new therapy are often lauded loudly enough to make something popular before any of the more subtle side effects may be noticed. I am a type 1 diabetic; lately there has been a "new" therapy that has been growing in popularity for type 2 diabetics - it's called insulin. Yes, the most intuitive treatment ever was out of vogue for decades because there were drugs like glucophage, and because someone could use those pharmaceuticals instead of what amounts to hormone therapy and damn the day-to-day side effects. In other words, the only reason that I can see that insulin wasn't ALWAYS used, even for type 2 diabetics, is because it is technically a hormone and not a manufactured drug. Sure, some people don't like injections, but that is an exceedingly small price to pay when compared to how miserable glucophage can make soneone's life.

Believe me when I say that I'm not a drug-hater or a basher of Western medicine. I take a number of prescription drugs, as well as my rDNA-derived insulin, and I only wish that my conditions allowed me to be on a pain-management drug regimen. However, I can't, so I just deal as best as I can. But there it is; we live in a world of passing the buck and avoiding responsibility whenever possible; and that includes creating a syndrome to avoid shouldering the responsibility for whatever is wrong in our lives, and then we medicate to treat the symptoms rather than actually take a painful look into the cause. As I said, we used to dull that pain with alcohol, or smack, or acid; now, we do it with valium, prozac, and oxycodone.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Agreed, Mikey. I'm saying 'someone pass me the whiskey', because Prozac has led too many people I knew to commit suicide. If I'm feeling down, give me a belt of scotch any day of the week over something designed to screw around with chemicals in my brain (yeah, I'm aware that alcohol does as well; just not the same ones).
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'v experimented with too many different recreational chemicals - or combinations thereof. Lately, I prefer to just suck it up and muddle through. Now, I'm no teeototaller, but I don't get roaring drunk by 5 pm on six nights out of the week like I used to. Nor do I smoke, or drop, or pop anymore.

Now if I could only kick these damned cigarettes, I'd be good.
as Bull offed Custer
Uzume
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Uzume »

ditto. :lol:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

To which part? If you mean you're a wharf rat, good for you. If you mean the cigarettes, I share your pain.
as Bull offed Custer