I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Leave it to the Japanese to produce origami spaceships. It'll be interesting to see if they get any responses, and from where.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Who else would say, "We need a material that has the structural integrity and heat resistance to re-enter the atmosphere... let's try paper!"
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Japs come up with the most unusual ideas, many of which work. You gotta love those guys.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Japs
Come on, there's no need for that. You might us well say that "those kikes" or the "wops" come up with pretty good ideas. Let's try to keep everything a little more highbrow, OK?
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:
Japs
Come on, there's no need for that. You might us well say that "those kikes" or the "wops" come up with pretty good ideas. Let's try to keep everything a little more highbrow, OK?
I blame my father for that. He doesn't like them a lot. I do. Sorry if I offended anyone. What's a "kikes" or "wops" anyway?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Paper spaceships......
Well, it's original, I'll give them that. :?

Hmm, will this cause a new space-race? The US cannot be allowed to fall behind in the advancement of paper! :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Ahem, Rochey if you're going to make such statements will you please phrase them in the correct manner.

We cannot allow an origami-spaceplane gap!

:P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

This sounds like an anime, seriously. It's Read or Die meets Gundam.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

I have never heard 'Jap' used interchangably with 'kike', and personally I don't think it's offensive. Only as offensive as calling a British person a Brit (*shock horror*).

I don't know if it's just me, but I can't imagine a paper aeroplane travelling at mach 5+.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:What's a "kikes" or "wops" anyway?
"Kike" and "wop" are derogatory terms for Jews and Italians, respectively.
I have never heard 'Jap' used interchangably with 'kike', and personally I don't think it's offensive. Only as offensive as calling a British person a Brit (*shock horror*).
They're not interchangeable - they refer to two different ethnic, cultural, a/o religious demographics. However, around here the term "Jap" is more than just a diminutive version of the word "Japanese" - it's used as a derogatory term, unlike the term "Brit."
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Yeah..Jap is probably in similar leagues to the English diminutive name for Americans...yanks *shudder at the word*.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Mikey wrote: They're not interchangeable - they refer to two different ethnic, cultural, a/o religious demographics.
Sorry my wording was pretty poor, I meant interchangable in an equivilent sort of derogatory sense, regardless of the target.

Anyway, I rarely hear the word Jap used as an insult, and if it is used in a context where it is clearly not meant to be derogatory, then I take it as such. I'm sure the word Yank or Brit could be used in a derogatory context (and sometimes are), but if they aren't, then the meaning is quite clear.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Mikey wrote:
Japs
I never understood why that was rude. Its not like a lot of racial slurs its just short for Japanese. Reminds me of Vong as opposed to Yuuzhan Vong.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's offensive because the phrase was originaly said in an offensive and derogatory manner. Why is it bad to call black people 'Niggers'? 'Nigger' is an abreviation for 'Negro', which is Spanish for 'black', surely a discription isn't offensive?
Well, the word in itself isn't offensive, it's how the word was meant. 'Nigger' was often a derogatory comment, which is why it's not acceptable to call black people that any more.

It's the same with 'Jap'. Sure, it's just an abbreviation. But it was used during the Second World War as a derogatory name, which is why it's considered offensive to use it today.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"