The Last Jedi - spoileriffic thread

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Last Jedi - spoileriffic thread

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Really? I found the opposite for myself... I liked TLJ more than TFA.
For me, that depends on which bits of TFA you're talking about. The first half of that film was excellent, but the second half, from about the point of firing the Starkiller, was much poorer. TLJ, on the other hand, seemed very bitty. A lot of the individual elements were very good, and there was no sharp point where the plot seemed to go berserk, but the film as a whole didn't seem to gell.

Certainly neither of them were a patch on Rogue One.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

a patch on Rogue One
I don’t pretend to exactly twig your colloquialism, but I think I agree with this.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Captain Seafort wrote:
mwhittington wrote:Is the book Outbound Flight considered canon? I'm assuming it is because Thrawn is now canon, and this book "introduces" Thrawn.
Outbound Flight is no longer canon - Thrawn himself is canon because he's turned up in his own novel, and in Rebels, but the pre-Disney EU of him and his history is gone.
Well, that sucks. It's a great novel by a great author. I hope Timothy Zahn comes up with more stuff for Star Wars, he's one of the best.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Zahn's written a new canon Thrawn novel, which has a sequel on the way in June.

Ultimately though, does it matter? Outbound flight still exists, can still be read, it just doesn't tie-in with the newer stuff. But then, there's a whole host of books that it does tie-in with that you can still read.
Bite my shiny metal ass
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Griffin wrote:Zahn's written a new canon Thrawn novel, which has a sequel on the way in June.

Ultimately though, does it matter? Outbound flight still exists, can still be read, it just doesn't tie-in with the newer stuff. But then, there's a whole host of books that it does tie-in with that you can still read.
And those books I do still read. And will continue to read.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Griffin wrote:Zahn's written a new canon Thrawn novel, which has a sequel on the way in June.

And those books I do still read. And will continue to read.
Me too. Canon or legend, I'll still read them.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

By the way, gonna say this. I think we all owe Boba fett an apology. As legit overhyped as he is in the EU, at the least he still manages to track the Falcon to Bespin.

Phasma is one of the most ridiculously overhyped characters who manages to accomplish NOTHING in her screentime.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:By the way, gonna say this. I think we all owe Boba fett an apology. As legit overhyped as he is in the EU, at the least he still manages to track the Falcon to Bespin.

Phasma is one of the most ridiculously overhyped characters who manages to accomplish NOTHING in her screentime.
It's kind of weird that they seem to put her out an awful lot for interviews and publicity stuff. She sits there trying to answer questions about her character, and inside she must be thinking "What character, I'm like one step above the bridge guy who says 'yes sir' in these movies!"

I bet she's gonna be all over the novels and games and stuff, though.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

She's so shiny though. Shiny, shiny, shiny.

I once read a fan-theory that Phasma was actually Cindel Towani from The Battle for Endor.

Gwendoline Christie is just as blonde.

I loved that idea because it was a nice callback to the unloved/unwanted movies. Plus figuring how could that little girl turn into the evil but disappointing Captain Phasma speculation would have been fun.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:By the way, gonna say this. I think we all owe Boba fett an apology. As legit overhyped as he is in the EU, at the least he still manages to track the Falcon to Bespin.

It's kind of weird that they seem to put her out an awful lot for interviews and publicity stuff. She sits there trying to answer questions about her character, and inside she must be thinking "What character, I'm like one step above the bridge guy who says 'yes sir' in these movies!"

I bet she's gonna be all over the novels and games and stuff, though.
There at least one novel detailing her background. The 'cleverly'-titled Phasma. I will not be buying it, nor any other Phasma-related merchandise, because it's not my fault the movie failed to give me any reason to give a damn about her.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

It's a shame that such a good actress was given such a poorly fleshed-out role. They could have done so much more with Phasma than what they did.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

mwhittington wrote:It's a shame that such a good actress was given such a poorly fleshed-out role. They could have done so much more with Phasma than what they did.
Oh, yes. I agree. Actually have her accomplish stuff, kill someone. Anything!
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Watched this again on Blu-Ray. Good lord, what a mess of a movie this was. Most of this plot could have been accomplished in a 47 minute syndicated TV episode without all the cutesy/snarky bullshit put in there.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've actually watched a few fan backlash videos that pulled it apart, and when I sat down and watched it again a week or so ago I found that I still liked it, but a lot of the people complaining do have a point. It's kind of glaring just how much Rian Johnson wanted to say "F.U." to JJ's take on Star Wars. He really does take practically everything JJ set up and deliberately rip it up. And not in a "clever subversion" kind of a way, but in a somewhat mean-spirited way.

It's also obvious that a major goal of this current trilogy is to wrap up the stories of the original characters and kill them all off. I was shocked they let Leia live, actually. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they kill her, Chewie , R2, and 3PO in the next movie.

Still and all, I did enjoy it again. It's a fun movie with some good stuff in it. There's also a lot of weirdness, though.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I don't plan on ever seeing it again. I don't want the DVD or Blu-ray. I won't download it.