What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by Angharrad »

Before I left I put in an order for new steel toed boots. Only to get the order returned with the question, why do YOU need steel-toed boots? Oh cause I do inspections on sites that require people to wear steel-toed boots. So I had to write down my duties to justify the purchase. When I left I had no idea if I could get them. I told my boss, if I don't get them you will have to find someone else to do my inspections.

Today was my first day back. I have new steel toed boots. I was going to post a picture but it's too big.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Good thing you got them, then. I have steel-toed boots too. They've saved my toes on more than one occasion.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I got plenty of steel toe boots. They are required in the Navy. One of the best things about steel toe boots is that you can put a heavy object on your foot for better leverage.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

And use them to help kick down buildings in demolition sites.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:And use them to help kick down buildings in demolition sites.
Sure thing, Mister Norris. :lol:
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Well I've been on the road for less than a month and a Van took the back of my car off yesterday as he reversed into a drive way. Swung his bonnet out into the road as I attempted to pass and sheered most of the rear body plate clean off the car.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Reliant121 wrote:Well I've been on the road for less than a month and a Van took the back of my car off yesterday as he reversed into a drive way. Swung his bonnet out into the road as I attempted to pass and sheered most of the rear body plate clean off the car.
Presumably you are unharmed by this? Which is the most important part, the car can be fixed / replaced.

If he was in reverse gear then you should be pretty well placed for it to be his fault. It's almost a given in that circumstance. It's a hassle I know but it will hopefully all work out in the end.
email, ergo spam
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Panel beater job or structural damage?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Mildly sore back but that's normal. I'm fine otherwise :)

The driver admitted fault after the road accident and the company van's insurance company are agreeing on a pay out. Its mainly just organising courtesy cars and the repair thats taking the hassle.

As for the damage itself, it appears mostly cosmetic but the nearside rear wheel is rather knackered. The electronic handbrake appears to be broken as well which could prove mighty costly, and there could be some hidden frame gremlins but so far it looks like a fairly simple replace the back panel jobby.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Glad to here you are OK.

Make sure you get your insurance company involved also. It's quite possible that the amount of work required is more than the value of the car. If that's the case they will pay you for the worth of they car and take your existing one. This happened to my wife and her 10 year old Polo. If they go this route then you need to check the money they offer and counter by performing searches for cars being sold near by. They offered her £1500 and we found at least 3 on sale asking between £1700 and £2100. In the end they stumped up £1800.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Also glad you're alright.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Thanks guys :)

The car is worth at least £6500 on market value and I paid over that (plus I've got GAP insurance on the finance plan) so I doubt the repairs will be more than that. The company are definitely involved as they are trying to get the repairs paid for by the van company.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Glad to hear you're okay Reliant. At least a car is easier to fix/replace than a person. Hope it gets sorted soon.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Reliant121 wrote:Thanks guys :)

The car is worth at least £6500 on market value and I paid over that (plus I've got GAP insurance on the finance plan) so I doubt the repairs will be more than that. The company are definitely involved as they are trying to get the repairs paid for by the van company.
Good. If you've a twisted chassis then it could easily go over that value. Good luck.
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I should hope I don't, I've little choice but to drive it at the moment (with the wheel fixed ofc.) The guys at my local Kwik-fit seemed to think its alright but if the frame is bent underneath in such a way it doesn't affect the way it drives then I suppose its always possible.