What's the latest in people's lives?

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: What's the latest in people's lives?

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Nutso wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Well, my grandmother finally passed away Friday. She was 96. :(
Sorry for your loss, Striker.
Thanks. Service is gonna be Friday. Gonna be difficult to say the least.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Well, my grandmother finally passed away Friday. She was 96. :(
Sorry to hear it, man.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

I'm sorry for your loss, Striker.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Since the Camp Fire, my family and I lived for six months in a low-income apartment complex in Chico. In June we moved to Gridley, CA. and bought a house with our insurance money from the house that burned down. Gridley is a nice, quiet farm town with a population of around 6,700. On our 21st anniversary, my wife bought me a fig tree, which we planted in the front yard. We're doing ok. Better here than in Chico. Chico has a huge transient problem, it's starting to smell like New York City. I wish I could say I was kidding, but I'm not.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Sorry to hear that Striker.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Thanks all. Much appreciated. :)

mwhittington wrote:Since the Camp Fire, my family and I lived for six months in a low-income apartment complex in Chico. In June we moved to Gridley, CA. and bought a house with our insurance money from the house that burned down. Gridley is a nice, quiet farm town with a population of around 6,700. On our 21st anniversary, my wife bought me a fig tree, which we planted in the front yard. We're doing ok. Better here than in Chico. Chico has a huge transient problem, it's starting to smell like New York City. I wish I could say I was kidding, but I'm not.
Good to hear from you, Whittington. I'm glad things seem to be going better for you.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

And when it rains it pours. There's a leak in our bathroom. A plumber is coming tomorrow, thankfully.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:And when it rains it pours. There's a leak in our bathroom. A plumber is coming tomorrow, thankfully.
I got a chronic one myself. I live in an apartment and the one above me is mirrored underneath me. Anyway, the upstairs toilet leaks. They fixed it three times and now I got another one. Problem for me to know about it means it been leaking for awhile before it bleeds through the drywall.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:And when it rains it pours. There's a leak in our bathroom. A plumber is coming tomorrow, thankfully.
I got a chronic one myself. I live in an apartment and the one above me is mirrored underneath me. Anyway, the upstairs toilet leaks. They fixed it three times and now I got another one. Problem for me to know about it means it been leaking for awhile before it bleeds through the drywall.
Ooh, that royally sucks. :( I'm sorry.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So I've posted here about Trouble, my little doggie. She was born on 27th December 2018. Dad and I got her in March of this year. Right from the start she was a bundle of fun and energy. Into everything, always wanted to help you with whatever you were doing - preferably by biting something. She loved to run. We'd take her to the park and she'd run like crazy. Sometimes you didn't even have to throw a ball or anything, she'd just run in great big circles making comical little growls, as if chasing invisible rabbits.

On Thursday night she started yelping in pain every now and again. We took her to the vet on Friday and she said she'd strained a muscle in her neck. We took some painkillers home, and the pain seemed to go away. But Trouble was very lethargic. She'd still move around, but very slowly and uncertainly. We figured her neck was still sore, but when it wasn't getting better after a few days we started thinking something more serious might be wrong. We decided to call the vet again in the morning.

This evening around 10:15 dad put her on the couch and came upstairs to tell me something. He was here a few minutes, then went back down again. She was lying on the living room floor panting for breath. He called me down; by the time I got there a minute later, she'd stopped breathing. We rang the emergency vet and I broke every traffic law going driving down there. Fortunately it's only a few minutes away.

It was too late. She was gone. The vet was shocked, there was nothing obvious wrong and she could only guess at what happened. An aneurysm, perhaps, or a blood clot that moved to her brain. Taking her back to the vet earlier, even days ago, probably wouldn't make any difference, she said. Regardless, I'll always feel guilty that I didn't do that anyway. I'm crying as I type this.

She had a short life - she lived exactly 250 days. But she had a happy life, spending every day with people who loved and cared for her.

Death is that state in which one exists only in the memory of others. I'll always remember my little ball of Trouble.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Sorry for your loss, Graham. She was a very pretty dog.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Oh, god. I'm sorry, Graham. :(
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

McAvoy wrote:
Next place I will live on the top floor. Either that or just own the place.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Ian still sailing Princess?

Sorry to those who lost someone close, always hurts.

Sunny side, what cruise did you do?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

We got back from Disneyland Friday, left on Monday. Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is as Star Wars as Disney can muster, which apparently is a lot. Life sized mock-ups of the Millenium Falcon, Poe's T-70 X-wing, Kylo Ren's TIE Fighter, and an A-wing, plus I got a hug from Chewie. There's a workshop where you can build your own droid and a Jedi Temple where you can build your own lightsaber (each for $200). There's a cantina with a droid DJ named R3X. My youngest girl Heidi got her pics taken with Snow White, Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, Rey, Chewie, a First Order Stormtrooper, and the Mouse himself, Mickey. We had a blast.