Could Humanity take on the Romulans?

Enterprise
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Apart from the fact that the Tellarites would argue with everyone, the Vulcans would be arrogent to everyone and the Andorians would either start a bar fight or give evil glares at everyone.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

So not only do they leave the humans to do the fighting mostly on their own but then they'll go out of their way to start all of the fighting. At least when the klingons sign up we know they won't wussy out of the fighting.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

indeed.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I still believe that the UFP would have been founded more as the initial accords were shown, with an emphasis on political confederation rather than military alliance. As Deep sarcastically pointed out, even in TNG+ times there is certainly no parity between the humans' workload and everyone else's in wartime.

In addition, again I must state that the non-Romulan part of that war was mentioned as "Earth." Monroe mentioned the example of the French and Indian War, but that conflict was referred to by that name only by the folks who were on the other side of it. EVERYONE, participant or not, who has referred to this war has used the term Earth, not alliance.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Well, humans are peacemakers in season 4 when they form the first joint mission searching for the drone ship. Vulcans would see the alliance as logical. Shran would push for the Andorians to join in as he trusts the pinkskins. The Tellerites would see that the others are formidable enemies, but even more formidable as allies(or the allies may have had technology they wanted).
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

And the Tellerites have fresh meat to argue with...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

As Deep sarcastically pointed out, even in TNG+ times there is certainly no parity between the humans' workload and everyone else's in wartime.
Don't you mean 'Yet again sarcastically pointed out'? :lol:
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Of course such an alliance would form - that's why we have the UFP. But during that war, I would only expect to see non-military assistance; raw materials, energy, write-down of debt if such existed, etc. - much like the US provided to the UK before the US' entrance into WWII.

To become directly involved militarily would be seen as illogical by the Vulcans - it's a human problem; uninteresting to the Andorians - Shran might have liked the humans, but he was a soldier, not a policy-maker; and fruitless to the Tellarites, who might not have had the fleet or tech to help much anyway.
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

PS - yes, that's what I meant, Deep. :)

BTW - you're dead on about the Klingons. When they join up, enlist 'em all and put bullseyes on their shirts. The only thing better than cannon fodder is WILLING cannon fodder.[/quote]
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:In addition, again I must state that the non-Romulan part of that war was mentioned as "Earth." Monroe mentioned the example of the French and Indian War, but that conflict was referred to by that name only by the folks who were on the other side of it. EVERYONE, participant or not, who has referred to this war has used the term Earth, not alliance.
Maybe the beginnings of the Federation was what convinced the Romulans to back off. Against Earth they would probably win a full-scale war, but if the Federation was formed the Romulans would be outnumbered 4 to 1.

If only Enterprise had lasted longer. They could've showed more of the Earth-Romulan war.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I agree with you on that last bit, Blackstar, but I have a sneaking suspicion that COULD HAVE wouldn't necessarily have become WOULD HAVE.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

knowing of the Writers Penchant for..ah changing what is almost common knowledge of trek, i think you could be right.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Mikey wrote:I agree with you on that last bit, Blackstar, but I have a sneaking suspicion that COULD HAVE wouldn't necessarily have become WOULD HAVE.
Agreed. Maybe it was getting better in S4, but I still don't trust those jerks to have been able to show a good Earth-Romulan war.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I think I thought of the plot that ENT was going to use to explain how the humans won while reading the Romulan v Klingon thread.

The Romulans at the time of ENT are really powerful. They have technology unmatched in the region, they have a massive empire that they protect the boarders, which even the Klingons can't do as well during the 2150s. The Star Empire is also around 1000 years old.

But they somehow lose, probably to a group of alliances. I'm thinking that Archer was going to befriend one of them, like an admiral, perhaps in battle a mutual respect grows. Then he was going to fill the admiral's head full of democracy and freedom loving thoughts. Somehow Archer and the Enterprise was going to cause instability in the Star Empire which would lead to a virtual collapse of the Empire and a huge economic depression. A depression so total that it took one hundred years to recover from.

I thought that might explain how the humans won, by starting internal strife.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Jordanis wrote:Agreed. Maybe it was getting better in S4, but I still don't trust those jerks to have been able to show a good Earth-Romulan war.
B&B certainly not, but all I've seen of season 3 and heard regarding season 4 suggests that Enterprise was cancelled just as it was turing the corner for Trek. Given another season Manny Coto might have been able to pull Trek out of the rut Voyager got it into, and have it produce truly great science fiction once again.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.