Upgraded Akira QT boat

Deep Space Nine
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Ships like the akira should never have less then a thousand torps on them. AT ANY TIME!

Didn't the Refit-Connie have 250 pts? It seems very silly that a ship one third the size can carry the same number of PTs as a GCS.

Personally I don't see the Akira fitting in 5 RFQTLs. But, I would like to see all 15 of her tubes upgraded to pulse fire QTLs. As for the Nebula class. Now on that I would see Rapid Fire QTLs. 2 forward, 2 aft. Upgrade to some type XII phasers! And for sanity sake, someone put some armour on that ship!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Akira with 15 pulse fire QTL: 3234

Almost as good as 5 Rapic fire version
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If one rapid fire QTL goes down then you are in trouble. You just lost a quarter of your fire power. But, if you keep the akira tubes where they are now and just upgrade them. The loss of a single PFQTL is not nearly as hurtful and they take up far less space. That and the RFQTLs would have a more limited field of fire.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Just for shits and giggles: Akira with 15 rapid fire QTL: 11531
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Could their be a problem with maintaing a lager torpedo load on a ship. Beacuse thier is no other reason why the load is so low.

Or the small load is just in peacetime and when ships are organized for war the load is increased.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Didn't the Refit-Connie have 250 pts? It seems very silly that a ship one third the size can carry the same number of PTs as a GCS.
About 80 IIRC, I think it was mentioned during ST6.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'll have to watch that again at some point to check for sure.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

I don't remember what they said in STVI, but I'm sure they did, given how important torpedoes are to the plot.

And 80 isn't quite so ridiculous a number for the refit Constitution. She has two slow-firing tubes. (Huh, DITL says four in yellow. Where the heck are the other two, and where in WOK were they shown?) She could flush that in 160 seconds, which is fast, but torpedoes seem to usually be used more precisely than just dumping them as fast as possible.

So if we go to the Type 3 burst fire on the Galaxy, we get 250 torps / 2 launchers / 2 torps / second = 62.5 seconds. Tsk.

To put the Galaxy at the same flush speed, there should be 640 torpedoes on board (160 seconds * 2 torpedoes/second * 2 launchers).
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Jordanis wrote:I don't remember what they said in STVI, but I'm sure they did, given how important torpedoes are to the plot.

And 80 isn't quite so ridiculous a number for the refit Constitution. She has two slow-firing tubes. (Huh, DITL says four in yellow. Where the heck are the other two, and where in WOK were they shown?) She could flush that in 160 seconds, which is fast, but torpedoes seem to usually be used more precisely than just dumping them as fast as possible.

So if we go to the Type 3 burst fire on the Galaxy, we get 250 torps / 2 launchers / 2 torps / second = 62.5 seconds. Tsk.

To put the Galaxy at the same flush speed, there should be 640 torpedoes on board (160 seconds * 2 torpedoes/second * 2 launchers).
The other 2 were used in In A Mirror Darkly.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

I thought In a Mirror Darkly had pre-refit Connies?
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

It did, but perhaps the refit maintained the original underside-of-the-saucer PTLs of the basic Connie, giving it four. I'd guess that's what Graham was thinking, though we've never seen the refit fire from anywhere but the neck launcher and the refit saucer doesn't have visible torpedo ports (then again, the original didn't have these either - maybe it's covered by hull plates when not in operation?)
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Jordanis wrote:I don't remember what they said in STVI, but I'm sure they did, given how important torpedoes are to the plot.

And 80 isn't quite so ridiculous a number for the refit Constitution. She has two slow-firing tubes. (Huh, DITL says four in yellow. Where the heck are the other two, and where in WOK were they shown?)
The four tubes is based on a shot where we see a torpedo handling room in WoK, and on the wall there is a big sign saying "Torp Room 4"

As for capacity, in ST VI when Kirk asks if they have fired torps at Gorkon's ship, we see Scotty checking a display that is listing the torps. I *think* was used that as the basis for our capacity, but it's rather speculative and I don't really remember to be honest.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

GrahamKennedy wrote: The four tubes is based on a shot where we see a torpedo handling room in WoK, and on the wall there is a big sign saying "Torp Room 4"
That answers that. I would have to assume, as The Hair postulates, that they kept the original launchers in the underside of the saucer. Actually a fair volley of tubes, for the day.
GrahamKennedy wrote: As for capacity, in ST VI when Kirk asks if they have fired torps at Gorkon's ship, we see Scotty checking a display that is listing the torps. I *think* was used that as the basis for our capacity, but it's rather speculative and I don't really remember to be honest.
This is what I figured it was based on. Perhaps someone should bust out their copy and look. I did it last time, for the STIV plastics debate. :P
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I know this is just a what if but it goes along with one of my biggest pet peves. There are most likely numerous reasons why the Akiras cant be fitted with more of them. New tech that is still rather rear. High costs of production. Space on ship although that seems a pretty small problem.

But I admit if they just made a few fully QT Akiras and stationed them around Earth for those pesky Borg attack everyone could sleep a lot easier at night.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Yeah, it's not like you'd miss the cube or something.