New Godzilla...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: New Godzilla...

Post by McAvoy »

90's version?

The 1998 Godzilla was supposed to be a nuclear radiation induced mutation.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Even with regen powers we still have weapons that could vaporise him. In movie they will need to explain why these weapons won't work.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote:90's version?

The 1998 Godzilla was supposed to be a nuclear radiation induced mutation.
Toho revamped Godzilla in 1991 in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah.
Some white people from the future came to 1991 Japan with a solution to their Godzilla problems. They go to the past, remove the Godzillasaurus away from the island where nuke test would create him and dump him somewhere in the Pacific, but they leave behind three little monsters. Back in the present it is revealed that the Caucasians had an evil plan to ruin Japan's prosperous future and they reveal King Ghidorah, created from the 1950's nuke testing on that island and those three little monsters. Ghidorah is terrorizing Japan and one future girl, who is Japanese, decides to get her friend to go find Godzillasaurus they dumped in the ocean.

They don't get to him in time, but they find him attacking a French Nuclear Submarine. Thanks to the power of modern nukes, the Godzillasaurus has been transformed into Godzilla once again but larger and meaner than he's ever been. He's also way more powerful. Where in the 60's and 70's, King Ghidorah was Godzilla's most powerful rival, something he needed help beating, this time he handles King Ghidorah and blows off the middle head. Then he goes on to terrorize Japan and blows up the future Caucasians.

The Japanese girl hatches a plan to save everyone. She finds the defeated and barely alive Ghidorah in the future and turns him into Mecha-King Ghidorah. She pilots him and they can only subdue Godzilla. They fly off with him into the ocean, where Godzilla will slumber until another challenger arrives.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Teaos wrote:Even with regen powers we still have weapons that could vaporise him. In movie they will need to explain why these weapons won't work.
It will probably be tough skin. Although they could claim Godzilla has an EMP field thingy.
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:Even with regen powers we still have weapons that could vaporise him. In movie they will need to explain why these weapons won't work.
For the same reason that the moon turns a werewolf into a wolf. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Unobtanium skin that is harder than diamonds.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Vaporizing is a loaded term. Technically it would be converting the entire mass of Godzilla into gas which would require a phenomenal amount of heat.

Vaporize in it's more pop cultural usage, destroyed to the point of no remnants, would require something like an atomic bomb to accomplish, a very big atomic bomb. Atomic bombs aren't known for being precision weapons either meaning you'd have to be willing to nuke your own city and kill everyone still in it.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Nuclear explosions have revived Godzilla after he has been "killed"
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

True, but I'm assuming this new movie will be a reboot so no one will know anything about Godzilla yet. And aside from Nukes... yeah there's not much we've got that would slow something like that down.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

...could just get him married... never see him again...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I figure hit it with one or two bunker buster bombs to crack its shell, and make it go snap crackel and pop, then napalm the red mist and chunks left behind.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Here's the problem. Godzilla is about 300 feet tall, just scaling him up from a more conventional lizard he probably weighs in at 40,000 tons (200 blue whales). That's a lot of meat. Assuming no monster mojo a bunker buster is going to do a good job burrowing into his body. The problem is that bunker busters don't have big explosive charges. Really they're supposed to kill people and break things inside a bunker, a few PSI of overpressure is all it's going to take, plus they'll have the cavity to help reflect the blastwave around and wreck things even more. You can actually see this in some of the footage of testing penetrators against hardened aircraft shelters. You can see the shock front bouncing around inside the shelter.

Here's the problem, in Godzilla there isn't going to be a cavity, he's going to be solid meat, so the shock front won't be doing much reflecting. Second, he's 40,000 tons. A BLU-109 has an explosive charge of about 500 lbs. To put that in a human perspective it would be like detonating 0.00125 lbs (1/50th of an ounce, half a gram) of explosive about an inch under your skin. It's going to hurt, but cause massive damage? And the BLU-109 has a comparatively large explosive capacity for a bunker buster. A couple of bunker busters would annoy a creature Godzilla's size even if he was just a regular animal.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Interesting, guess you gotta hope to be lucky and give him a heart attack with the shock wave inside him...

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Godzilla once died because he had a nuclear meltdown. He was going to take Japan with him. Who knows what blowing him up will do. 40,000 tons of radioactive flesh.

Stan - South Park
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

This got me thinking. Back in about 2005 or so there was talk of a nuclear bunker buster. For hitting deeply buried targets they wanted to take one of the long form bunker busters and change out the explosive warhead for a nuclear one. It was a micro-nuke, yield of about 10 tons. You could use a better performing bomb because it's small explosive capacity didn't matter with a nuke, and because it was meant to be dropped on buried bunkers the resultant collapse of the ground around it would seal in the radiation. It got canned because you know, nukes.

However, equip a bunker buster with a 1 kiloton nuclear warhead and that'd be like setting off 5 lbs of C4 in your chest. That'll get the chunky salsa you're looking for. Presuming Godzilla is a normal animal.

Which he's not.

He's motherfucking Godzilla.