Intrasigeant Class [Fed]

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Intrasigeant Class [Fed]

Post by Jordanis »

Type:Assault Frigate

Unit Run: USS Intrasigeant NX-86891 Proposals call for a run of up to 200.

Comissioned: 2377-Present

Dimensions:
Length: 100 m
Beam: 80 m
Height: 19.6 m
Decks: 2

Mass: 87,000 metric tons

Crew: 30 (90 person evacuation limit)

Armament:
8 x Class II rapid fire phaser pulse cannon.
2 x Type X phaser banks total output 55,000 Terawatts
3 x Standard Torpedo Tubes firing Quantum Torpedoes

Defence Systems:
Auto modulated shield system, total capacity 1,620,000 Terajoules
Heavy Duranium/Tritanium double hull
30 cm Ablative armor
High level structural integrity field

Warp Speeds:
Normal Cruise: 6
Maximum Cruise: 8.6
Maximum Rated: 9.4 for 12 hours

Strength Indices:
Beam Firepower: 1100
Torpedo Firepower: 1012.5
Weapon Range and Accuracy: 700
Shield Strength: 600
Hull Strength: 4900
Speed: 917.4
Combat Manoeverability: 11,000

Overall Strength Index: 1180.6

Expected Hull Life: 25

Refit Cycle: Major: 5 years

Notes: The Intrasigeant class is a direct descendant of the Defiant program. The Defiant class, as effective as it was, was not numerous enough for extensive use in anything aside from the most central defensive positions and large fleet actions. While a Defiant-class ship can make herself felt in any one battle, their rarity and slow warp speeds mean they cannot make themselves effectively felt in very many places at a time. The Intrasigeant, then, is an effort to build an even smaller Defiant-style ship suitable for mass production and very wide deployment.

The Intrasigeant is truely stripped-down. With only two decks, her designers decided to dispense with turbolifts altogether in favor of ladders, several sets of stairs, and a zero-g shaft for moving large objects between decks. The Captain (usually a Lieutenant Commander if the ship is attached to a larger command) and First Officer (who does double duty as Chief Engineer) are the only crewmembers with their own quarters. The other four comissioned officers sleep two to a room, and the enlisted crew sleep four.

Several lessons learned from the Defiant program were applied to the Intrasigeant. She has an additional phaser array on her aft ventral quarter, eliminating the blind spot in the Defiant's defensive fire. The armor layer has been increased by 50% in an attempt to make sure damage stays localized, and the warp nacelles fold in and lock close to the hull during sublight flight in order to protect the vulnerable bussard collectors.

The Intrasigeant made two major sacrifices in order to pack this sort of combat ability into such a small hull. First, speed. Dispite ten years of advancements in the warp sciences, the Intrasigeant is fractionally slower than the Defiant. In fact, she is only able to achieve that thanks to her variable-geometry nacelles, which deploy to a reasonably efficient configuration.

Secondly, the Intrasigeant has sacrificed endurance. She has appallingly short range before her antimatter stores run out, and she is far too small to mount an antimatter generator. For a combat mission, the Intrasigeant's maximum strike range is a paltry 200 light years. For ferry missions, her safe range is 400 light years, extending to 500 in emergency circumstances. For this reason, Intrasigeants are planned to be mostly deployed to starbases where their logistical needs can be met. Since the ships are so small, some preliminary plans have been made to create a purpose-built fast freighter capable of shuttling pairs or quartets of them in the mid-to-high Warp-9 range.

Weaponry notes: The Class II pule phaser is a smaller version of the Defiant's pulse phasers. It has an off-bore aiming capability of 11 degrees in any direction from the center, so the greater numbers of cannons allow the ship to split its fire during attack runs. As for the torpedo launchers, there was simply no room for a more advanced launching system, so a standard launcher was armed with quantum torpedoes to maximize power. All the weapons save the phaser arrays are located in armored blisters on the hull, allowing easy refitting of more advanced systems as they become available.

Notes on the creative process: This ship actually started coming about because I was poking around the Star Trek Online forums. They have a starship design section that's aimed towards people proposing classes for the game. The mechanics of the game look like they're very heavily group-oriented. A big ship is going to require a bunch of your guild-mates to effectively fight. I figured that for soloists, the best they could hope for would be the Defiant. But what would they use prior to achieving that? Something Defiant-shaped, but smaller yet. So I designed a small armored pill to ram down the enemy's throat.

I am currently working on a model of the bridge which is already producing some very nice renders. I'll post when it's done, probably a week or two. Eventually, I'll figure out a version of the mechanics for the folding nacelles that looks good, and I'll post pictures of it with nacelles extended as well. That'll be after the bridge.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Would the Federation have the tech to make an aircraft carrier type craft to carry a number of these over a distance with relatively quick speed?

Not necessarily Nimitz class carriers, but something more like Wasp class.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

They could probably refit, or purpose build, a ship to carry maybe a half dozen or so of these. I think Graham theorises on the main site that the Akira may have been built with a fighter complement.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The akira would be far to small. Though I did have an idea months back about a Carrier for starfleet. That maybe something he could look into as a guild line.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Deepcrush wrote:The akira would be far to small. Though I did have an idea months back about a Carrier for starfleet. That maybe something he could look into as a guild line.
It could be something like a giant engine with docks on it. It wouldn't have to be an actual real ship or anything. The Intrasigeant's could actually be outside the craft.

I know the raiders in B5 had some big round transport with the fighters on the outside, but that was too bulky. I seem to remember the PsiCorps having a thin/long transport with their starfuries attached.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

In the old Starfleet Battles wargame, they had similar sized ships with this concept called Pseudo-fighters, if I remember correctly. They would be transported by Tenders, docked to them in a similar manner to how Jim described. 2 or 3 to a tender dependant on race and type. I seem to remember a couple of races having them in the Starfleet Command II computer game.
As to the design, stylistically, it appears to me like a TMP era version of the defiant.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Surprisingly, I actually think the best class would be the Galaxy - with a few modifications.
  • Firstly, get all safety systems in place (circuit breakers, turn off holodeck button, rapid auto core ejection, firewalls, gigabit security codes).
  • Secondly, some general things outside the ship - upgrade the nacelles to something like the Intrepid's to allow for faster travel, and have them retractable from/to the hull when at light/sublight speeds.
  • Upgrade the torpedo launchers to quantum torpedo, fore and aft, and any of the other newest weapon upgrades
  • Add ablative armour around the torpedo launchers and nacelles.
  • Move the battle bridge as far inside the engineering hull as possible (next to the warp core, ideally), and armour the warp core/bridge with ablative armour, with a forcefield (with separate power sources and several rudundant backups) aways surrounding the the bridge/warp core to stop intruders, internal weapons fire etc getting to the core/bridge.
  • Add multi-redundant power sources to transporters, to allow beam out to the escape pods in an instant, even with complete powerloss.
  • Get rid of all the science equipment in the engineering hull, replace with separate battery systems and weapons.
  • Now, completely and utterly strip out the saucer section, leaving it as a huge hanger bay. Place these ships in there. You can get 6 of these in a Galaxy class saucer section
As the Engineering hull is 90% of the strength of the Galaxy Class, we'll consider it just as strong as the Galaxy Class. With newer weapon upgrades (particularly quantum torpedos and near hull shield contouring), she'll probably be a bit stronger than the full Galaxy class' we see in DS9. So in fight she could probably hold her own - though her manouevrability would be reduced due to no Saucer section impulse engines.

This refit Galaxy Class would be more powerful and safer than any Galaxy Class currently out there - normal Galaxy class' are already shown to be a match for most capital ships anyway.
Each saucer section can carry 6 of these Assault frigates - and each of these are nearly as powerful as the Galaxy Class herself. So if you sent one into battle, you'd have 6*1180 + 1*1500 (approx galaxy stats), you'd have a small armada with the strength index of 8,580 - the strength of 3 Sovereign Class vessels in just one Galaxy Class Carrier!
Another advantage is that the Engineering hull can detatch and go and collect another saucer section - and bring them to the troublespots.
It would allow groups of these assault frigates to be despatched quickly, and, if the Engineering section went back to collect another group of fighters, would have none of the disadvantages of having sublight craft against warp capable craft - as the craft are capable of warp themselves, albeit over a short range, enough to get them away.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Not a bad idea. Such a ship might win back my respect for the Galaxy class.
Were the writers smart enough to go with such a concept, that is, which'll never happen.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

I don't think you could refit a saucer section to do it, you'd need to use a purpose-built one. The main computer core runs right in the center of the saucer.

The main shuttlebay could hold one by itself on footprint, though it isn't tall enough. But 80 meters traverses the saucer section in about four ships, and I think that's all you could shoehorn in. Not that that's nothing! But not quite the six you might want.

(All this is with reference to the Galaxy Class blueprint set, which is currently half spread out on the bed)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

You could probably carry Defiant-type ships on the Galaxy, but as Jordanis says, you couldn't fit them inside the ship. It might be possible to remove the bottom of the saucer and hang the ships under it a la cruise missiles.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Captain Seafort wrote:You could probably carry Defiant-type ships on the Galaxy, but as Jordanis says, you couldn't fit them inside the ship. It might be possible to remove the bottom of the saucer and hang the ships under it a la cruise missiles.
I think if you purpose-built a saucer section that was basically hollow except for an outer shell of crew quarters (woo windows) and phaser strips, you could carry four Intrasigeants internally in a diamond pattern. Looking at it, you might squeeze two more with interesting arrangements, but in all cases the launch sequence is very much less than ideal.

If we're going to purpose build, a more likely scenario would be to build a simple umbilical and corridor grid that attaches to the stardrive section, which Intrasigeants can hang from and perch on. You might fit a dozen into the general area once occupied by the saucer section in this manner.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

I'm pretty sure you can fit 6 in ala this arrangement (birds eye view)

With the 6th been ontop of the 3rd - it is high enough.

I'm pretty sure you could strip out the saucer section, though - the computer core too, why would that present a problem? There's another in Engineering Hull, and it wouldn't need all the scientific stuff in it.
The problem with this 'cruise missle' location is the warp dynamics - I heard that the ships are shaped the way they are based on their warp bubble shapes, so changing that on the outside may well change the warp dynamics itself.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The Nebula and Galaxy have the same saucer so it could make that modification to. And there is a lot more of them.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Don't suppose there'd be an easy way of utilising the warp cores of the Intrasigeants whilst they're in the carrier?

Couple of big warp engines, with the ships lined up between them, and the warp drives of the Intrasigeants powering them inorder to increase range and speed.

The Prometheus splits into 3 sections, I'm assuming they have a way of consolidating the power of the 3 different warp cores.

(I keep typing Warp Corps instead of Warp Cores. Thank God no one decided to call the MACOS the Warp Corp, its a dreadful pun)
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

kostmayer wrote:Don't suppose there'd be an easy way of utilising the warp cores of the Intrasigeants whilst they're in the carrier?
Possibly - but they only have limited anti-matter supply/range/power anyway, so when they're detached from the hanger bay, they'd have even less range than previously - the entire point of a carrier is so they don't waste their own fuel.
The Nebula and Galaxy have the same saucer so it could make that modification to. And there is a lot more of them.
That's true, but I think the Galaxy is faster than the Nebula, and the Nebula may have 'unforseen' problems with saucer separation - as far as we know it doesn't have that capability.