SFDebris: Vincent and the Doctor

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris: Vincent and the Doctor

Post by Captain Seafort »

Blip

Decent review, although I disagree with Chuck's assertion that he can't give it a review because it's different to the series as a whole, just as I did with Family.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SFDebris: Vincent and the Doctor

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I loved this episode. It did have some cheesiness to it... primarily, the invisible monster being a fairly obvious money saving gimmick (Remember the invisible ship in Let That Be Your Last Battlefield?). But I thought they were quite inventive in playing into that by making Vincent able to see the creature due to his "unique vision", which also fed into his art. A smart idea that turned a disadvantage into an advantage, at least somewhat. Who is famous for doing that - hell, it's why the Tardis is a simple box that vanishes one place and appears another, rather than some complex spaceship that flies around.

And soppy sentimentalist that I am, I absolutely adore the last ten minutes of this episode. Vincent's trip to the present and hearing the art critic's opinion of him (and yes, one of the greatest men in history does over-egg things a bit, but he's an art critic! What would you expect?) followed by the happy/not happy ending... wonderful stuff. I sniffled a bit at "for Amy", too.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Weird ep to discuss. When I got through the first couple of minutes, I was prepared for an absolute train-wreck of an episode... not to mention that I wasn't yet sold on Smith. "Blah, meet famous historical figure, fight invisi-monster, blah, blah." Well, it fell into every pigeonhole that one could or couldn't imagine... yet somehow it came through as enjoyable. Not a moment for the ages in the history of DW, but certainly an enjoyable way to spend an hour.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Different? Really? I don't see it...

But I liked this one.