Freezing computer

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Freezing computer

Post by Reliant121 »

Hello everyone :)

We've been having a few problems with our two year old computer. Ever since a reformat a while back from the Medion branded Windows 7 64x discs, we've been having intermittent but frequent freezing faults. The entire computer will freeze on certain tasks; you can still move the mouse and graphics are all enabled etc but nothing actually happens when you select something. When in games, they simply stop completely then begin once again elsewhere. Anyone got any ideas?

I can post the specs of the computer:

AMD Phenom II 2.8ghz x4 820
Can't find the motherboard itself but I might be a MS 7646 if I'm reading things right.
ATI Radion HD 5670 graphics card
4gb RAM

if more is needed, I can try and find it.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Freezing computer

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

If you were a customer who had come into our shop, we could run some tests but that's not an option as you don't have the right equipment on hand. This is a pretty general symptom. What steps have you already tried? Are there any missing devices or warning symbols in the device manager?

Could you elaborate a bit more on how the computer is "freezing?" Does the clock still run? What was happening before this reformat - did you do this to solve some other particular problem?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Do you hear any unusual sounds during this "freezing"?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Freezing style: effectively, the computer stops processing new information. Opening browser tabs or new programs stops, flash content stops loading, programs refuse to shut down. As for sound, it sounds much like "something" stops and becomes quiet. It begins a moment later.

We have reformatted twice, both 64x and 32x, we have swapped components over all over the shop. We have recently discovered that there is a a notice about taking an enormous amount of energy to access one of the hard drives so we are testing to see if the main hard drive is having problems.