A place to hang out and chat about whatever
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Cool Picture Thread

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote:
Nutso wrote:Image
This smells like Myth busters does the Bat mobile.
Hardly any of the Bat mobiles were realistic. Well the TV show one was if you ignore some of the goofball gizmos.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The bug didn't flip. It was the only one...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Best designed car: she always fall on four wheels :P
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Engine at the back so different weight distribution.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

It's actually an alien robot
Bite my shiny metal ass
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The car looks like it's heavy for some reason.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Griffin wrote:It's actually an alien robot
Shh, a boombox from the 80's might be reading this.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

IanKennedy wrote:It would appear to be Car crash Cliches.

Myth : "A large truck driving at high speed can plow through two lanes of stopped cars and continue forward without stopping."
Notes:
Adam and Jamie fitted "the Beast" (the dump truck they had previously used in "JATO 3" and "Crash Cushions") with a heavy reinforced bumper, then set up 10 cars in two parallel lines to simulate a traffic jam. When they drove the Beast into the cars at 40 miles per hour (64 km/h)., they were able to push through four car lengths before coming to a stop among the wreckage.
Declaring the myth busted, they decided to modify the Beast so that it could successfully plow through the traffic. They fabricated an attachment similar to a locomotive cowcatcher, in the hope that it would throw the cars aside and out of the Beast's way. For this test, they set up 16 cars instead of 10 and lubricated the attachment's surface with lard; driving at 40 miles per hour (64 km/h), they were able to push all the cars far to each side and continue rolling forward.

Source

YouTube Copy
They should specifically test the opening of Beverly Hills Cop
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Stupid question time then, how would it have free if they did something faster than 40 MPH? Let's say 60 MPH.

I mean it's basically a 2.25 increase in kinetic force. Though of course the shape of the vehicle among other things do factor
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

McAvoy wrote:Stupid question time then, how would it have free if they did something faster than 40 MPH? Let's say 60 MPH.

I mean it's basically a 2.25 increase in kinetic force. Though of course the shape of the vehicle among other things do factor

They usually do not do these just to see if it can be done at any circumstance. They test what against the myth, or in this case film. If it fails they then ramp up the test a bit to try to gt it to work at any level. That is why this truck has the "cow catcher" on the front. It failed badly otherwise.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Jim wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Stupid question time then, how would it have free if they did something faster than 40 MPH? Let's say 60 MPH.

They usually do not do these just to see if it can be done at any circumstance. They test what against the myth, or in this case film. If it fails they then ramp up the test a bit to try to gt it to work at any level. That is why this truck has the "cow catcher" on the front. It failed badly otherwise.
yeah. I remember a myth called 'killer laundry' that they went through and disproved every single part of it, but they still did their best to replicate the results. It's probably one of my favorite myths simply because of how badly it held up.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Jim wrote:

Mythbusters I have noticed usually plays to the audience. Older episodes were more loyal than the new ones. That and the new ones spend at least fifteen minutes of each episode repeating themselves especially after each episode.

I am curious on the 40 MPH figure.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

http://giant.gfycat.com/UnawarePlushBarasingha.gif

This is bigger than my screen so I posted as a link. I think you guys will like it.
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park