Omega

Voyager
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Omega

Post by Teaos »

I dont think a major power would ever do it, it would be a rouge fraction.

Although coem to think of it a major power might do it as a scorched earth policy.

Think, if someone unstoppable was taking you over like the borg or the Dominion, driving you back and taking system after system at a rapid pace. You know you cant win and are going to lose everything. You detonate a few omega bombs and you have esentially saved yourself.

They may still come, but very slowly, decades, centuries. Hell they might give up totally.

It would be a defencive weapon of last resort.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Deepcrush wrote:Which would be interesting as even though the UFP would still exist. Independent systems would be forced to take care of themselves rather then waiting on Sol to come to the rescue. It would lead to a much more practical and militaristic Federation.
They wouldn't have anything to defend against, though. No interstellar threat, and since planets are generally at peace with themselves no domestic wars either. If anything each planet would be even less militarist.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

You would also have to worry about races that are willing to travel the distance over time to attack. Borg being the biggest example. Another issue piracy or regional and internal conflicts. Its not that there aren't threats, its that the threats have changed.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I doubt many would be able to. Journey times jumping up by many thousandfold would deter most.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Another issue piracy or regional and internal conflicts. Its not that there aren't threats, its that the threats have changed.
What piracy? While it exists, it's set up on an interstellar scale, raiding their targets and then retreating to areas like the Briar Patch or the Badlands. That means that instead of being a few hours away, the pirates are now decades or centuries away, in ships that simply aren't designed for those sorts of voyages. Ditto with "regional" threats. Internal conflict is a possibility, but when have we ever seen individual Fed colonies with serious internal problems?

I'd say the biggest potential problem is the breakdown of society if a given colony's technological base isn't self sufficient (which is a near-certainty).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

People like to fight, if they have interstella travel they fight other systems, take that away from them they will fight internally.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

It'd be the end of interstellar civilization in that area of space, that's close to sure.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Not close to but certainly. The entire civilisation is designed around inter-system travel times of days or weeks. It would be impossible to sustain if travel times suddenly extended to years or decades, just as modern civilisation would collapse if all fossil fuel and nuclear powered forms of transport and the internet ceased working.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, feeds the plot bunnies something fierce. :mrgreen:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

@Seafort, Yar's home system and Acher IV fell apart even with the UFP present. Or, take a look at the DMZ, the whole region fell into conflict even though both sides were confronting larger governments.

The other matter is that those guilty of "intersellar" piracy will simply find themselves stuck. Meaning that their piracy will still exist, it just will end up being more local.

@GK, while most won't bother, there are groups and races that may or are willing to stick out the time in transit for their goals. It would in fact be a very profitable action as we've seen often that the Ent-D was the only ship in range at warp. Without warp those systems, that do not build up their own military, would be defenseless to whoever got stuck in their system or suffered out the transit.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Which would be interesting as even though the UFP would still exist. Independent systems would be forced to take care of themselves rather then waiting on Sol to come to the rescue. It would lead to a much more practical and militaristic Federation.
They wouldn't have anything to defend against, though. No interstellar threat, and since planets are generally at peace with themselves no domestic wars either. If anything each planet would be even less militarist.
Without subspace there wouldn't be FTL travel or comunications so it wouldn't be UFP or any multi system organization.

The borg are the only ST power i can think of willing to travel decades or centuries for conquer and probably the only one able to doing so.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Does the Borg neural link use subspace?
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yes.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Well if thats so then the thing is would any Borg vessel that travels into Omega 'infected' space be cut off from the subspace signal and hence no longer part of the collective? No subspace signal then no link to the collective.

(maybe its been stated before but I haven't re-read the whole thread)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Where does the link generate from?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...