Voyager
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Omega

Post by Teaos »

Hell of a terrorist weapon.

I can think of a plot bunny where a bunch of 24th century hippies want to detonate several omega bombs acrossspace to basically cripple everyones ability to move and stop interstellar war.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:Hell of a terrorist weapon.

I can think of a plot bunny where a bunch of 24th century hippies want to detonate several omega bombs acrossspace to basically cripple everyones ability to move and stop interstellar war.
Plot bunny?

Good idea, though.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, except I wouldn't call them "hippies" if they want to blow shit up.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

Mikey wrote:Yeah, except I wouldn't call them "hippies" if they want to blow shit up.
I propose to name them the 'militant pacifist movement.'
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

shran wrote:
Mikey wrote:Yeah, except I wouldn't call them "hippies" if they want to blow shit up.
I propose to name them the 'militant pacifist movement.'
"We're fighting a war for peace." (standard cookie award applies.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

That could actually make a decent story. Think of all the bad things warp travel brings - countless attacks by aliens like the Borg, cultures mixing and cross pollinating. It wouldn't be hard to imagine some anti technology type seeking to explode an Omega bomb so as to end interstellar travel.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That is certainly true.

I personally don't mind the idea of the Omega Particle and I certainly do understand that having an omega powered ship is bus-window-finger-smelling-cross-eyed retarded. Every time a omega-ship blows it it destroys subspace.

Actually would make for a decent galaxy-saving movie plot.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:Hell of a terrorist weapon.

That's a pretty cool idea. :)

I had one last night for my 'Gone Before' verse where the NR looked into Omega because, hey, they don't use warp drive! Except there's an accident and something... odd comes through. :spider:
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Would an Omega bomb bugger up subspace communications too? If a Colony where do be in the vicinity of one, they could face the strange situation of being decades away from anyone, whilst only being a dozen or so light years away.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Don't know about communications but anyone within the 'blast zone' would have to rely on sleeper ships.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

kostmayer wrote:Would an Omega bomb bugger up subspace communications too?
The Omega reaction is described as "destroying subspace", so probably.
If a Colony where do be in the vicinity of one, they could face the strange situation of being decades away from anyone, whilst only being a dozen or so light years away.
:laughroll:

Ah, sci-fi, that we should speak of such things, when the best humanity has achieved is to travel far less than a thousandth of that distance, and take thirty years to do it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think a plot like this would be more suitable for a movie than a episode. Also it gives a way for a smaller power to pose a credable threat.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Which would be interesting as even though the UFP would still exist. Independent systems would be forced to take care of themselves rather then waiting on Sol to come to the rescue. It would lead to a much more practical and militaristic Federation.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I could see the Breen of Tholians doing something like that, or some rogue Romulan faction.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I don't see any organized government trying to develop an omega bomb.....too unstable should something go wrong at home.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.