Odd habits

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Odd habits

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Just like the title says, a thread about our little idiosyncrasies. I'll start it with a little bug of mine: I tend to respond to "thank you" with another "thanks" as opposed to "you're welcome."
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Odd habits

Post by Mikey »

I am a dyed-in-the-wool, irremediable beard-stroker.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:I am a dyed-in-the-wool, irremediable beard-stroker.
It took me a while to stop after I shaved mine. :lol:

I've realized that I mumble to myself a lot more than I thought.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I mumble to myself a lot. And argue to oneself.

I have a habit of responding to things in italian as if it were english. My dad giggles whenever he hears it and my mum looks dumbfounded (she never picked it up when we lived there).

I also have a habit of using all the controls of the car when i'm a passenger. Like changing gear, pressing an imaginary clutch pedal, breaking WAY before my dad does.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Oh, the phantom brake pedal is a pretty common one.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Yes, doesn't shock me. Dad's car so far has been the best car he's ever driven and he spends most of his working life in it (having done around 35-40,000 miles in less than a year); he's become rather confident in the car's abilities. Which of course, means he brakes insanely late making mum wet herself and me tear the neoprene-like trim off the back door handle.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's why many people refer to the little grab handles above the doors in most American cars as the "oh shit" handles.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

My Dad is similar to that as well. Problem is that the way I drive is also agressive, but I put a huge gap between me and other cars. I'm paranoid because all of my accidents so far involved someone not paying atttention and plowing right into me. First was a a T-bone accident when someone ran a stop sign. The other two were at red lights when both people didn't brake when they should have.

Yeah when I had a beard I used to play with it especially when it got to about four inches long. Then I shaved it off...

When I have fits of anger like while playing a video game or sports or something is refusing to work I usually have a angry conversation with them on why they suck.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:when it got to about four inches long.
I take it that this was not when you were in the service?
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

On that note, I nearly got taken off the bike yesterday. I was at a T-junction on the correct side side, indicating to turn right. Then an old boy in a Citroen Xsara Picasso, who clearly hadn't seen me, cut the corner along my side (left). It's only due to his wife screaming when she saw me and him plowing into the pavement that he missed me. He did apologise to me, and his wife was insanely apologetic.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yep - everyone bitches about folks on bikes, but in most instances it's the automobile drivers that cause accidents involving motorcycles.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:
McAvoy wrote:when it got to about four inches long.
I take it that this was not when you were in the service?
Yeah. Or long period of leave, I can grow a beard long enough to play with it.

Motorcycles don't bother me. If they want to be stupid then go ahead. I won't get out of the way for motorcycles especially the idiots. I mean a car will survive a motorcycle hit, a motorcycle will not survive a car hit. Logically, people who ride motorcycles should respect cars but some of them don't.

On that note, one odd habit I do is talking to myself while I drive. But only when i am by myself.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

That point is one of the main reasons I'm going toward chopper style bikes. Their sheer size means they might as well be a car, and I can't do the ducking and diving thing sport bikers do due to weight and size.

I talk to myself when I ride. Usually by grumbling about some moron around me. Or begging the lights not to change :lol:
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah I do that too. Or when it seems that every light turns red when I am in hurry like when I am about to shit myself. Or someone not using their turn signal.

I will never go on a motorcycle again, is because I have and will try to go fast on it. Which means one day I will smear myself across a tree or a car.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I've never been one for speed. I will admit to have taken a short ride on a much more powerful bike than is legal, a 800cc or there abouts Yam sports bike. I just...I didn't like the position of speed bikes. Leaning forward and getting down...not for me. A chop bike can't really go anywhere fast and I like the relaxation :D