0 - Crap
No votes

Total votes: 5
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

S32E2 Day of the Moon

Post by Captain Seafort »

Good second part. Not one of the absolute best, but pretty damn good, and plenty of stuff left hanging for the rest of the series. Starting with who the hell is that kid?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: S32E2 Day of the Moon

Post by Mikey »

It's airing here right now (and straight into my DVR,) so I'll reserve judgement. You've already seen my theory as to the identity of the kid, though.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Update: definitely better than the first part. Great performances, Moffatt's usual canny writing... and "Say 'Hi' to David Frost." :lol:

I'd say the biggest question isn't who the girl is, but who was in the suit by the lake in the beginning of "The Impossible Astronaut," and why did they shoot?
The gunshot that killed the Doctor looked an awful lot like what comes out of Song's gun, and she's one of the few who'd know to shoot in mid-regeneration cycle.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:I'd say the biggest question isn't who the girl is
Oh yeah? While the implication was that she was Amy's daughter, that raises the interesting (to put it mildly) question of why she was regenerating.
who was in the suit by the lake in the beginning of "The Impossible Astronaut," and why did they shoot?
If anyone. They commented that it might be possible for the suit to operate without an occupant.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:Oh yeah? While the implication was that she was Amy's daughter, that raises the interesting (to put it mildly) question of why she was regenerating.
I think that was the point of the foreshadowing included in Amy's conversation with the Doctor about whether pregnancy aboard the TARDIS would cause... alterations.

Or, could've just been Amy and Doc on a bender. ;)
Captain Seafort wrote:If anyone. They commented that it might be possible for the suit to operate without an occupant.
True, though I think the suit being built for a person - ostensibly, for the girl herself - would indicate an occupant.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:Oh yeah? While the implication was that she was Amy's daughter, that raises the interesting (to put it mildly) question of why she was regenerating.
I think that was the point of the foreshadowing included in Amy's conversation with the Doctor about whether pregnancy aboard the TARDIS would cause... alterations.

Or, could've just been Amy and Doc on a bender. ;)
Off the top of my head I can think of the following possibilities:

1) Amy and the Doc getting really drunk, or under the influence of the Silence
2) Grown in a lab from Amy and the Doctor's genetic material
3) Being pregnant while time travelling has weird side effects
4) River and the Doctor's daughter (with suboptions as above)
5) Jenny
6) Susan (unlikely, but possible)
True, though I think the suit being built for a person - ostensibly, for the girl herself - would indicate an occupant.
Aye, but I don't think we can rule out any possibility
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

All good points. I think Moffatt did a great turn by leaving enough options open for speculation. While the indication is that it's Amy's child (either via the Doctor as you described, or Rory's with some effect of the TARDIS influencing her) the fact of River being affected far more than normal by the temporal crossing between her and the Doctor could be telling as well.

Or, "none of the above." Remember how Rose was affected by taking on the essence of the TARDIS, with absolutely zero blood relationship with the Doctor. The difference between that and this could be parallel to the difference between Paul and Alia Atreides, in the same sense of live v. prenatal exposure.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Or, "none of the above." Remember how Rose was affected by taking on the essence of the TARDIS, with absolutely zero blood relationship with the Doctor.
True, but that just turned her into a Deus Ex Machina, it didn't allow her to strike the RTD Approved Time Lord Regeneration PoseTM.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Very good episode, there. I liked canton simply shooting the alien there.

Also, my pure raw hatred for River Song grows with every episode I see her in.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:Or, "none of the above." Remember how Rose was affected by taking on the essence of the TARDIS, with absolutely zero blood relationship with the Doctor.
True, but that just turned her into a Deus Ex Machina, it didn't allow her to strike the RTD Approved Time Lord Regeneration PoseTM.
Like I said, you have to take into account the difference between momentary adult exposure and continued prenatal exposure.

@ Striker... yeah, I though Delaware was MUCH better done here than in the first part. Especially his last line to Nixon, which was so great in juxtaposition with his heretofore "Government HeavyTM" persona.
as Bull offed Custer
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I really liked this epsiode, there were some really epic moments, this is easily one of my favourites, and I like how many dangling threads there are.
Captain Seafort wrote: the RTD Approved Time Lord Regeneration PoseTM.
That was one of the major let downs of this EP, when the kid regenerated like that, I was hoping Moffatt would bring back regenration being different each time.

Off the top of my head I can think of the following possibilities:

1) Amy and the Doc getting really drunk, or under the influence of the Silence
2) Grown in a lab from Amy and the Doctor's genetic material
3) Being pregnant while time travelling has weird side effects
4) River and the Doctor's daughter (with suboptions as above)
5) Jenny
6) Susan (unlikely, but possible)
Could also be Romana or the Rani, but I think they're even more unlikley than Susan.
Bite my shiny metal ass