The Zombie Proof House

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Zombie Proof House

Post by Graham Kennedy »

“The most essential item for our clients was acquiring the feeling of maximum security,” begins the designers’ website in the summary of the structure. Who wouldn’t feel safe in a concrete rectangle that folds in upon itself to become completely sealed? Even the windows are covered with a slab of concrete when the structure is on nap time.

The house, with its movable walls, has only one entrance, which is located on the second floor after crossing a drawbridge. Seems like the perfect opportunity to use a flamethrower and defend the life of your family, while stylishly nesting in a piece of architectural elitism.

Here

I want one!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: The Zombie Proof House

Post by Tyyr »

Meh, while I applaud the designers forward thinking, as we all know the zombie apocalypse is 42 times more likely to occur in the next ten years than anything is to happen in 2012, I can't help but think they're going a bit too far.

A far simpler zombie proof house is the kind you find on a beach on stilts. Even the fast zombies popular today are confounded by such a step change in elevation. Modify such a house to make the entrance stairs easily collapsible and voila, zombie proof house. Also its far more likely to work given the average homeowners level of maintenance of their home, ie only slightly above zero.

Ok, all bitching aside the house is pretty cool and it would do well against most natural disasters, though I wonder how that big roll-away door would handle hurricane or tornado force winds.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I suspect it's far more a security issue. There's no price listed, but obviously having this kind of thing built is going to run into the millions. It's the kind of thing some billionaire might have because he moves around between several homes and has antiques and artwork worth millions in each. Close it up and you can happily head off for a few months, reassured that even a really determined gang of thieves aren't going to get in.

That roller front does seem to be the weak spot, though. Little point having thick concrete walls and doors if that is as flimsy as most of them are. I wonder if it's some super thick super strong security shutter?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It's a great vault, not a great house. Who wants to live in a pillbox, even a lavishly-decorated one?

As to the overhead door - I used to work in the drafting department of an overhead door manufacturer. The majority of such items you see are proof against small arms, an instrument of crowbar-mass or less, or non-sustained gale-force winds. They can, however, be manufactured to withstand sustained hurricane-force winds, .50 BMG or Steyr 15.2mm rounds, and almost any blunt trauma that a handful of humans can throw at it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

From the pictures there's no real sense of scale on the thing to figure that out. But yeah, there's really not point to those meter thick concrete walls with that rollaway door there. Make them thick enough to have equivalent strength and you're good to go.

Besides, a real zombie fortress builder would never have had that much exposure on the ground floor. In case of a sudden unexpected outbreak you're zombie food. A proper zombie house would either go full on stilts or have a fully enclosed lower floor with zero access. Throw in a drawbridge you can raise at night and you're good to go.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Actually it has a drawbridge. When the house is in closed mode, there's an access at the side through a drawbridge.

There also seems to be a garden wall arrangement... it's hard to tell exactly.

The house itself is two floors, about 6,100 square feet.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'm going to say... I don't like it.

Lower level is to exposed as has been mentioned but really that area shouldn't be open at all. NO DOORS OR WINDOWS that aren't 100% needed. Second problem is the second level which is far to low. A few zombies piled on each could reach the windows before the can seal shut. You shouldn't have to worry about rushing to close the place up in an emergency. It should already be safe from the get go. Third problem, storage space, I don't see anything to say it has the supply ability to last more then a week or two.

Perfect "Modern" style house should be four levels. Each of the three interior levels being 12' in height, with the house interior being 40'w by 80'd using 2' thick steel reinforced concrete.

Lower level first of course being split into two sections. First is the garage/munitions bunker/workshop and the second being the food storage area. If you insulate that place right you could make a large part of the lower level a giant freezer. I'm pretty sure a 40'x49'x10' space could hold a great deal of food. I can stock my fridge with about two weeks of goods if I do it right and that only a 3'x2'x6'. Even if we lived totally off the fridge, that 36 cubic foot space would last a week easily. The 19,600 cubic feet of space in the house on a rationed meal plan should last just a bit under ten years if I did the rough math correctly. That leaves the workshop space of 40'x39'x10' which should fit five Ford F250s plus tools and spare parts (hybrid model would be best so you don't have to waste fuel on short trips). Some 12" lifts on the pits where the trucks park would make for easy service work. Drop down overlapping racks could hold weapons and ammo, in this you use all the available space without waste. The only doors should be the truck bay doors, again two feet of steel split glide doors to they can be opened by machine or manual power.

Second level, totally sealed, bedrooms and bathrooms and personal storage plus 20'x80'x10 secondary pantry. 2' ballistic glass or some kind of super clear plastic, triple layered to save on heating and cooling of course for windows.

Third level being the primary living space for the family. Living room, family room, kitchen and main 20'x80'x10' pantry... etc. (Total pantry space is 32,000 cubic feet which again should be fair bit of dry food stuffs).

The forth level being the pool with lock top so you can seal it and play a round of tennis or basket ball or hockey. A BBQ area along with horseshoe pit and satellite+radio tower and weapon mounts along the wall edge. Also on the top level would be the space for the four 100kw GE back up generators fueled by the triple twenty six thousand gallon fuel tanks buried below the house.

As the houses extras, the exterior walls above 12' would be lined with solar panels. This can reduce the amount of time needed with your generators on. During the day, the sunlight both lights the house and charges the batteries. Meaning you'd really only need the generators and fuel when under cloud cover for a few days. Finally a greenhouse built on 12' stilts with zero local access leaving it to be reached from the house across a covered bridge attached to the third floor. Last feature is the 10'x10'x10' three ton elevator that runs along all the levels of the house and next to the bridge.

Thats everything I can think of for the now.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Neat house, but I think it's more an illusion of security than real, practical security. It'd stop a random break in, or a short term zombie horde that you had warning about. However if someone really wanted to bust into the place and planned for it, purely passive defenses aren't going to stop them, and in a full on zombie apocalypse it'd be a death trap once the power failed.

An ideal zombie house needs to be divided into 3 sections.

You have the basement, as far under as you can go. You have to deal with water proofing it, but sinking it deep will keep it cool and will thus provide the most reliable refrigeration you're going to have once the power goes unless you live really far north.

From the ground up at least 3 stories should be solid as possible. No windows, no openings of any kind, and walls thick enough to withstand anything likely to be thrown at them. The true greatest threat in the apocalypse isn't the zombies, it's people who will try to take your stuff for themselves. Some of them are likely to gain access to things that can do some real damage, you want to discourage them from even trying. Make this level look indestructible and unbreachable, and they'll hopefully not want to waste precious resources on what seems an unlikely to succeed task.

The top level is where you can have windows and open space, but nothing of true value. The connection between the middle and top needs to be sealable and most importantly, fire proof. Otherwise one well tossed moltov could gut your fortress. You want the top level to be able to be a complete loss without compromising your ability to survive. It exists only for the sake of human psychology, a way to "get outside", see the sky, smell the breeze.

The best zombie house would actually be entirely underground and the entrance hidden, but the long term effects of living in such an environment, especially without power, would be detrimental to most people.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I disagree with being below ground. It takes a lot of work to build/dig such a space when building above ground can yield far more benefits. Solar panels, generators and securing from human looters is easier from above ground where they can't just block your air supply or waste vents. Someone is less likely to attack a 48 foot tall building with M249's rapped around its top vs something where they see a stairway or a single floor sticking out of the ground. Also, in something below ground its much harder to replace food since you can't grow your own.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

If said looters can't find the place, they can't do anything, hence the hidden entrance. And yeah it'd be a lot of work, but so would anything else we've talked about.

I'm not sold on solar panels, they take up a lot of room for little power, they're delicate, and you'd be hard pressed as hell to maintain them after a social collapse.

I fail to see how being above ground makes a difference for a generator so long as you have an exhaust vent

And this may surprise you, but there's a lot of people who just can't get their hands on a full auto machine gun, any machine gun, let alone several and enough ammo to justify using a weapon that burns through such a valuable resource. I do advise guns, but I advise semi-auto rifles with an emphasis on accuracy and reliability. Every shot represents a bullet you're unlikely to ever replace, it needs to count.

As for growing food, you're not going to be doing much of that in any of the set ups any of us have suggested. There's not enough open floor space to make it work as more than just a supplemental food supply. Useful yes, but you won't be able to rely on it to keep you and yours alive.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Lighthawk wrote:If said looters can't find the place, they can't do anything, hence the hidden entrance. And yeah it'd be a lot of work, but so would anything else we've talked about.
So then your survival would be based on never being found. Considering that sooner or later you'll have to look outwards for people/food/material. Thats not a very good option IMO.
Lighthawk wrote:I'm not sold on solar panels, they take up a lot of room for little power, they're delicate, and you'd be hard pressed as hell to maintain them after a social collapse.
On of our neighbors has had his since 2003, through several severe hurricanes and said the worse part is check the water in the batteries every week. While they do not produce much power, considering the needs of post-zombie world, you're not going to need a lot of power anyways. Also, every drop of power I get from them is power I wouldn't have without them.
Lighthawk wrote:I fail to see how being above ground makes a difference for a generator so long as you have an exhaust vent
If its below ground, someone can block it with grass or water or duct tape. If its on the top level of a fortified home, they can only stare at it.
Lighthawk wrote:And this may surprise you, but there's a lot of people who just can't get their hands on a full auto machine gun, any machine gun, let alone several and enough ammo to justify using a weapon that burns through such a valuable resource. I do advise guns, but I advise semi-auto rifles with an emphasis on accuracy and reliability. Every shot represents a bullet you're unlikely to ever replace, it needs to count.
It honestly wouldn't matter if you were using a bow and arrow defense. If you have the high ground, protection, range advantage in a hardened defensive position of your choosing then you are still better off then you would be waiting at the bottom of a staircase for your enemy to come for you.
Lighthawk wrote:As for growing food, you're not going to be doing much of that in any of the set ups any of us have suggested. There's not enough open floor space to make it work as more than just a supplemental food supply. Useful yes, but you won't be able to rely on it to keep you and yours alive.
Again, if you have 51,600 cubic feet of food storage before you seal up. The only thing you'd really want from the green house would small amounts of fresh fruit and vegetables.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Deepcrush wrote:So then your survival would be based on never being found. Considering that sooner or later you'll have to look outwards for people/food/material. Thats not a very good option IMO.
Correction, my survival would depend on my shelter never being found. Include a means to survey the outside before opening the door and take caution not to lead anyone back when I return, and I'd give it pretty good odds of never happening.
On of our neighbors has had his since 2003, through several severe hurricanes and said the worse part is check the water in the batteries every week. While they do not produce much power, considering the needs of post-zombie world, you're not going to need a lot of power anyways. Also, every drop of power I get from them is power I wouldn't have without them.
Agreed on the final point, but I think I'd sooner avoid the hassle. I'm willing to call that one a matter of personal taste.
If its below ground, someone can block it with grass or water or duct tape. If its on the top level of a fortified home, they can only stare at it.
Well if the place is never found, that's never an issue. And just for the sake of discussion, if it did become an issue...so what? So I have to shut down the generator for a bit. It wouldn't be something I'd need to survive, it'd be a convenience. I'm quite sure I could wait them out and deal with it after they leave. I'm still the one in a fortified structure with protection from the elements and a soft bed to sleep on. They're out in the open with the zombies and the rain and the ground for a bed. I'll win that battle of wills.
It honestly wouldn't matter if you were using a bow and arrow defense. If you have the high ground, protection, range advantage in a hardened defensive position of your choosing then you are still better off then you would be waiting at the bottom of a staircase for your enemy to come for you.
While I fully agree with you on the technical aspect there, I don't agree with the need. You're planning on building a fortress against which a dedicated force will break upon. It's overkill frankly. The zombies are too stupid to get in even without fighting them off, and a looting party doesn't have the mind set of a military team on a mission, they aren't going to risk their lives to see your home torn down. Make it strong enough to discourage them and they'll move on to easier prey. And if someone really is dedicated enough, well that's why you boobytrap the entrance/stairs/hallway and have a bullet proof barrier past those that you can shoot from. Unless a team of former marines out looting stumbles across my hideyhole somehow, I'm fairly certain I'd be fine.
wrote:Again, if you have 51,600 cubic feet of food storage before you seal up. The only thing you'd really want from the green house would small amounts of fresh fruit and vegetables.
See the thing is, your ten year supply of food really isn't, because aside from maybe some canned stuff, your supply just won't last that long. Your food is going to go bad long before you make a dent in it. Stored food will be for short to medium term survival. Any true long term plans will need to include hunting and/or farming. Have enough storage to last you if you have to bunker up or start farming from scratch, but hording several years worth of food is just a waste.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Lighthawk wrote:Correction, my survival would depend on my shelter never being found. Include a means to survey the outside before opening the door and take caution not to lead anyone back when I return, and I'd give it pretty good odds of never happening.
Meaningless attempt at a correction if you're just going to say whats been said. You're survival along with your shelter only work so long as you're not found. After that you're just a sitting target without the ability to survive any form of siege. As you stated below to a matter of taste, I use that here. My taste to this is I want the ability to survive after being discovered as well as the ability to fend off attackers. If an enemy comes, I prefer to face them then hide and pray they miss me.
Lighthawk wrote:Agreed on the final point, but I think I'd sooner avoid the hassle. I'm willing to call that one a matter of personal taste.
I'll agree to that as a matter of taste.
Lighthawk wrote:Well if the place is never found, that's never an issue. And just for the sake of discussion, if it did become an issue...so what? So I have to shut down the generator for a bit. It wouldn't be something I'd need to survive, it'd be a convenience. I'm quite sure I could wait them out and deal with it after they leave. I'm still the one in a fortified structure with protection from the elements and a soft bed to sleep on. They're out in the open with the zombies and the rain and the ground for a bed. I'll win that battle of wills.
Not really, against Zombies you may have some luck with that if they don't start tearing at the pipes to get to you. However against a determined human attacker that defense doesn't work. Sitting and praying does not win a siege. Even more so when the attacker is free to block of your air supply or even attack you through your air supply. Or more simply, dig down to you. Again this totally relies on your enemy not finding you because once they do its just a matter of time until they have you... and they know it.
Lighthawk wrote:While I fully agree with you on the technical aspect there, I don't agree with the need. You're planning on building a fortress against which a dedicated force will break upon. It's overkill frankly. The zombies are too stupid to get in even without fighting them off, and a looting party doesn't have the mind set of a military team on a mission, they aren't going to risk their lives to see your home torn down. Make it strong enough to discourage them and they'll move on to easier prey. And if someone really is dedicated enough, well that's why you boobytrap the entrance/stairs/hallway and have a bullet proof barrier past those that you can shoot from. Unless a team of former marines out looting stumbles across my hideyhole somehow, I'm fairly certain I'd be fine.
What happens if the enemy that comes for you is a squad of Marines looking to feed and house their families with no intent on sharing what they get? Or a group of local survivors who have experienced hunters and trackers with them? You build something there, then there's a strong chance that future enemies will know about it. If you wanted to hide on a hillside or in a remote location. There's no real reason to limit yourself to an underground bunker.
Lighthawk wrote:See the thing is, your ten year supply of food really isn't, because aside from maybe some canned stuff, your supply just won't last that long. Your food is going to go bad long before you make a dent in it. Stored food will be for short to medium term survival. Any true long term plans will need to include hunting and/or farming. Have enough storage to last you if you have to bunker up or start farming from scratch, but hording several years worth of food is just a waste.
Dehydrated meats, powered mixes and MREs could easily last the time. Aside from that when considering that the average human lives for seventy years, a ten year plan is honestly a short term one. A green house/aqua-tank would provide a year round supply of seeds, fresh produce and fish to cultivate later on once farming becomes safer after the main population of humans and zombies have died off. After the ten year span, all those who don't have their own resources built up will be dead and if you've lasted to that point then you're free to start rebuilding. Again this is another thing that is far easier, cheaper, safer and more likely to be successful if above ground then below.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Deepcrush wrote:Meaningless attempt at a correction if you're just going to say whats been said. You're survival along with your shelter only work so long as you're not found. After that you're just a sitting target without the ability to survive any form of siege.
Based on what logic? I have an underground dwelling with one entrance that can take a beating. I have the option of implementing traps of various degrees that any invader will have to deal with as there is no other means of gaining entrance. I have the option of providing myself cover to shoot from behind while denying said invaders the same by the simple principle of being the one designing the dwelling.
As you stated below to a matter of taste, I use that here. My taste to this is I want the ability to survive after being discovered as well as the ability to fend off attackers. If an enemy comes, I prefer to face them then hide and pray they miss me.
Where have I stated that I intend to give up all hope upon discovery? You seem to be under the impression that staying hidden is my one and only defense, rather than it being my primary form of.

On the matter of taste, you clearly prefer a more offense oriented approach. I'll take the defense oriented one.

Not really, against Zombies you may have some luck with that if they don't start tearing at the pipes to get to you.
I think that's giving the zombies too much credit, both in intelligence and strength. Never mind that said pipes would be, like the door, hidden as well as possible, and hidden such that discovery of one would not lead to automatic or even easy discovery of the other.
However against a determined human attacker that defense doesn't work. Sitting and praying does not win a siege. Even more so when the attacker is free to block of your air supply or even attack you through your air supply. Or more simply, dig down to you. Again this totally relies on your enemy not finding you because once they do its just a matter of time until they have you... and they know it.
Okay seriously, what kind of looting party are you envisioning here? Attack my air supply with what? Digging down, with what equipment? A simple layer of concrete would stymy that, and I doubt a gang of scavengers would even consider something with that much effort to it. I don't know what kind of motivation you think these guys have, but they're goal isn't to do whatever it takes to break in and kill me. If it seems like it'll be too much work, they're going to move on and look for an easier target.

I am in the far superior position to them. Unless they are being supplied in some fashion, I have more food, I have the safer position (they have to deal with zombies, I don't), they have to deal with the weather and sleeping on the ground. A looting party isn't a military squad on a mission.
What happens if the enemy that comes for you is a squad of Marines looking to feed and house their families with no intent on sharing what they get?
Frankly, in that unlikely event, I'm fucked. But that applies almost regardless of what I have to work with in any sort of reality. I'm not going to fight marines and win unless I have access to equipment and weaponry I could never hope to afford or acquire, which really all goes back to the idea of never being found.
Or a group of local survivors who have experienced hunters and trackers with them?
That could potentially be a problem, depending on their supplies and determination. At that point I resort to my standard backup plan; I see if they can break through the door, if so I have to deal with them and see who lives. If not, I wait them out. I have the superior position. And I can always threaten them with letting them know that if I run out of vital X, I intend to destroy everything else of value, netting them 0 gain for their efforts.
You build something there, then there's a strong chance that future enemies will know about it.
Who's going to know about it aside from the contractors hired to build it? How many of them are likely to survive the apocalypse? And how many of those survivors are going to both turn to looting and killing and manage to make their way to where I am and have the means to get inside?
If you wanted to hide on a hillside or in a remote location. There's no real reason to limit yourself to an underground bunker.
Of course the location would be remote, I'm not going to build such a shelter in the middle of a subdivision.
Dehydrated meats, powered mixes and MREs could easily last the time.
I have my doubts on that, but I also don't care enough to research it, so I won't argue it.
Aside from that when considering that the average human lives for seventy years, a ten year plan is honestly a short term one. A green house/aqua-tank would provide a year round supply of seeds, fresh produce and fish to cultivate later on once farming becomes safer after the main population of humans and zombies have died off. After the ten year span, all those who don't have their own resources built up will be dead and if you've lasted to that point then you're free to start rebuilding. Again this is another thing that is far easier, cheaper, safer and more likely to be successful if above ground then below.
On that, I agree.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Lighthawk wrote:Based on what logic? I have an underground dwelling with one entrance that can take a beating. I have the option of implementing traps of various degrees that any invader will have to deal with as there is no other means of gaining entrance. I have the option of providing myself cover to shoot from behind while denying said invaders the same by the simple principle of being the one designing the dwelling.
This requires the enemy to attack you directly which isn't needed when you're under ground.
Lighthawk wrote:Where have I stated that I intend to give up all hope upon discovery? You seem to be under the impression that staying hidden is my one and only defense, rather than it being my primary form of.
I never said you intended to give up. However, not being found is your only effective form of defense in the plan you presented.
Lighthawk wrote:On the matter of taste, you clearly prefer a more offense oriented approach. I'll take the defense oriented one.
Your plan is largely based on wishful thinking, not defense. Defense requires planning against your enemies most likely form of offense. War is counter play, they act and you counter or you act and they attempt to counter.
Lighthawk wrote:I think that's giving the zombies too much credit, both in intelligence and strength. Never mind that said pipes would be, like the door, hidden as well as possible, and hidden such that discovery of one would not lead to automatic or even easy discovery of the other.
Could be either or, may or may not work. Depends on mostly chance to if they even find you. Though I prefer to give to much credit and be over prepared.
Lighthawk wrote:Okay seriously, what kind of looting party are you envisioning here? Attack my air supply with what? Digging down, with what equipment? A simple layer of concrete would stymy that, and I doubt a gang of scavengers would even consider something with that much effort to it. I don't know what kind of motivation you think these guys have, but they're goal isn't to do whatever it takes to break in and kill me. If it seems like it'll be too much work, they're going to move on and look for an easier target.

I am in the far superior position to them. Unless they are being supplied in some fashion, I have more food, I have the safer position (they have to deal with zombies, I don't), they have to deal with the weather and sleeping on the ground. A looting party isn't a military squad on a mission.
I envision any possible enemy along with the equipment most likely available and with the needed skills and abilities to exceed my own by enough margin to require me to rely on preset plans to survive. I expect, unlike the movies, that the bulk of the survivors will be military families or other types who are raised or trained in survival. Which means you will be most likely facing a skilled, motivated and determined enemy. Planning for such is an important part of anyone's future who wishes to live.

If you're underground they don't have to dig to you, they can just block your air supply. Air is normally important and if you want to live then you have to come up. If they know where your door is then a guy or two in a tree nest could watch you and wait for you to open up.
Lighthawk wrote:Frankly, in that unlikely event, I'm f***ed. But that applies almost regardless of what I have to work with in any sort of reality. I'm not going to fight marines and win unless I have access to equipment and weaponry I could never hope to afford or acquire, which really all goes back to the idea of never being found.
If you have a prepared position designed to not only withstand an assault but also repel it, then you do have a chance. Which is why I put forward the details I did.
Lighthawk wrote:That could potentially be a problem, depending on their supplies and determination. At that point I resort to my standard backup plan; I see if they can break through the door, if so I have to deal with them and see who lives. If not, I wait them out. I have the superior position. And I can always threaten them with letting them know that if I run out of vital X, I intend to destroy everything else of value, netting them 0 gain for their efforts.
Much like your idea about not being found, this relies more on your enemy quiting vs you're doing anything else. Convincing them that you'll kill yourself off and destroy everything you have including your family just to spite them... not a good bet. A .308 from atop a standing fortified structure to which they have no access or ability to effect is a lot more effective at that.
Lighthawk wrote:Who's going to know about it aside from the contractors hired to build it? How many of them are likely to survive the apocalypse? And how many of those survivors are going to both turn to looting and killing and manage to make their way to where I am and have the means to get inside?
I don't know their names, but that doesn't remove the possibility of being found. Which by your plan is the single most dangerous part.

My objection to your plan is that your primary defense remains not being found. And, if found that your enemy will be so stupid as to not know how to block an air vent with dirt or will simply throw themselves in front of your door. Planning on your enemy being a fool isn't a good defensive plan.