SFDebris: Badda-Bing Badda-Bang

Deep Space Nine
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris: Badda-Bing Badda-Bang

Post by Captain Seafort »

Blip

Good review this - largely because Chuck seems to have got out of his groove of simply regurgitating the episode rather than truly reviewing it. I would, however, rate this as a 7 rather than a 6. I'm also slightly surprised that Chuck didn't comment on the fact that Sisko's different attitudes towards 20th century racism in his baseball programme and here came either side of his Benny Russell experience. Being on the business end of racist attitudes almost certainly made him a lot more sensitive to what was, to Kassidy and Jake, ancient history.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Re: SFDebris: Badda-Bing Badda-Bang

Post by katefan »

Not really a fan of the episode, mostly because I guess I am in the "hate Vic Fontaine" camp. I am not a fan of the music, not a fan of holodeck stories in general, and I am not a fan of the idea that so many aliens think '62 Vegas is cool. I have nothing personal against James Darren and I think he is a good actor and singer, I just never thought the concept bore more than a single episode.

So 6/10 is a pretty decent score, IMO.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I agree with Seafort that a 7/10 score would've been more appropriate, IMO. The whole thing is handled with style; I still sit and watch this ep whenever it's on.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

katefan wrote:Not really a fan of the episode ... not a fan of holodeck stories in general, ... I just never thought the concept bore more than a single episode.

So 6/10 is a pretty decent score, IMO.

I'm gonna have to mostly agree with katefan on this one (i deleted bits didn't suit me from the quote). Fricken holodeck episodes make me roll my eyes when I see em coming.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

colmquinn wrote:I'm gonna have to mostly agree with katefan on this one (i deleted bits didn't suit me from the quote). Fricken holodeck episodes make me roll my eyes when I see em coming.
Nonetheless, this was pretty good by holodeck episode standards because, as Chuck pointed out, it didn't fall back on the tired old "the safeties are broke and we're all going to die" routine.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

This one... bleh. Frankly I just don't care for it. Yeah it's a holodeck episode that avoids having basic safety mechanisms fail but it's still a holodeck episode. I like the occasional holodeck foray to show some of what the characters like to do in their off time but when it becomes a whole episode I just lose interest. Throw in that it's 60's Vegas which I don't give a shit about, and an Oceans 11 rip off which I REALLY don't care about seeing the DS9 crew do the whole thing have little interest to me. I can appreciate it not doing the usual holodeck crap but on the whole I just don't care about it. I'm the opposite from Tsuki, if I saw this coming on I'd change the channel unless I was REALLY hard up for some Trek.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I GO WITH seafort here, good take on holodeck stories. A fun non serious episode.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Teaos wrote:I GO WITH seafort here, good take on holodeck stories. A fun non serious episode.
I'm left wondering if the caps is for emphasis, or just caps lock gone unnoticed.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

A polished turd is still a turd to me.
Ok thats a bit harsh on the ep but you get the idea.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

colmquinn wrote:A polished turd is still a turd to me.
Ok thats a bit harsh on the ep but you get the idea.
Well, I wouldn't go quite that far. I mean, it's no Threshold, and any chance to see Nicole Deboer is a bonus in my book. :D
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm in agreement with Teaos; if taken as the light-hearted, escapist piece which it was, it's fun and well-done.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:I'm in agreement with Teaos; if taken as the light-hearted, escapist piece which it was, it's fun and well-done.
Exactly.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Sometimes you don't need the Best of Both Worlds. Sometimes you just wanna have Trouble with Tribbles.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I would have given it a 8/10.

I enjoyed watching a Holodeck that wasn't serious and didn't involve everyone fighting for their lives. We got to see our characters in their natural "save the day" setting but with a sense of humor to it all. Honestly, its something that IU, they most likely needed to take their minds off the chaos around them. Much like Samurai and the Tea Ceremony.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu