Bridge Commander

JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Bridge Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

What do you like about Star Trek: Bridge Commander? I like the Quickbattle mode especially when it's modded.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I've never played it, how does it work?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Best Star Trek game out there, I always play it.
Get the kobayashi maru mod, it's amazing - adds virtually every ship ever seen on ST!
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

I'll give the url to download the insturction booklet, how does that sound?

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/fi ... anual;1865
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Deepcrush wrote:I've never played it, how does it work?
You're the captain of a Galaxy, and later Sovereign-class starship. Actually, the Sovereign herself. You give orders to the crew or switch to a tacticle(space) view and you can take manual control of the ship. Best freakin Star Trek game ever! And the game can be improved by any number of mods, the largest and best being the Kobayashi Maru pack(not that I can play it on my dinosaur of a computer:( )
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Bridge Commander

Post by Tsukiyumi »

JudgeKing wrote:I like the Quickbattle mode especially when it's modded.
Nothing better than pasting a Galaxy-class using a Sovereign. :wink:

Or fighting hard to take out a Sovereign's warp core using a Galaxy.

Man, that game is fun.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What a great game. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Anybody have any memorable wins againsst something? I took on a Sov using a Vorcha and barely won only to explode when I hit the self destruct button accidentally.
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I like taking on Borg Spheres with moderately powerful ships; seeing how much firepower it takes to destroy one is a lot of fun. Then of course, there's 'Galaxy vs. 3 Dominion bugs' (the AI occasionally has them ram you :D ), or Galaxy vs. Dominion Battlecruiser...

I find that if I take manual control of a more manuverable ship, and target important systems like the bridge or warp core, I can usually pull off a slim-chance victory against a big bad ship (like the Dominion Battleship) if I'm careful.

It is the best Star Trek ship-based game by far.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Could never get the game to play properly with the mods - really wanted to recreate the Mutara Nebula battle from Wrath of Khan.

That said, I enjoy playing a Nebula class ship and pretending I'm the Phoenix, taking on a Galor and a few undefended Cardassian transport ships.

My other fave things to do are dogfighting in Shuttles, and having a couple of dozen ships face off in the middle of a minefield.
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Haven't played in a while, but I still have a folder with all sorts of little random added ships. Seeing a comprehensive mod pack is great! I think I'll be reinstalling to try out the Kobayashi Maru pack. And this 'Galaxy Charts' mod looks really interesting ( http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/fi ... arts;84682 )
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Deepcrush wrote:I've never played it, how does it work?
It is the best Trek game made, hands down. Legacy is technologically superior but the interface, implementation, and just overall game falls flat by comparison. (I am sure it will have a much longer life and will be more successful though, because I think it was made more for arcade action gamers and casuals, not for Trek fans, plus it's for consoles so any old bored idiot will buy it.)

We hardcore Bridge Commander fans said, way back when Nemesis first came out... "My god... whoever wrote Nemesis plays Star Trek Bridge Commander!" The entire battle scene, complete with Picard saying "full axis rotation to port, fire all ventral phasers!" pretty much sums up the feel of this game. :)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Dammit. You made me go re-watch the battle scene from Nemesis again. Now I have to go re-enact it in BC. You're on the bubble, mister. :D
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

Duskofdead wrote:

It is the best Trek game made, hands down. Legacy is technologically superior but the interface, implementation, and just overall game falls flat by comparison. (I am sure it will have a much longer life and will be more successful though, because I think it was made more for arcade action gamers and casuals, not for Trek fans, plus it's for consoles so any old bored idiot will buy it.)
I've not played Legacy, but I hear it's a poor game. Therefore, I doubt it will outlive Bridge Commander. I used to play the Starfleet Command games which appeared at about the same time, and dusted them off a few months back, and went looking for mods. There is still a fairly active scene, but many sites linked to Bridge Commander pages, and the BC community seems a lot more active. I wondered if I'd backed the wrong horse back near the start of the millenium. At the time of release, BC, IIRC, was a bit of a system hog, and the mod and model builders seem to have taken advantage of this inbuilt future proofing.
Legacy, by all accounts a bad game linked to an unfashionable licence will be probably be forgotten within months. I noticed it on the reduced shelf of my local game shop only weeks after release. I bet it would cost more to pick up a second hand BC from Ebay than a brand new copy of Legacy from a shops bargain bin.....
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I've only played the Bridge Commander Demo...but its a damn good game..If i could afford it i would get it hands down...

I have played Legacy and found it damn fantastic. The Xbox 360 version is alot better than the Computer version though. The Computer version eat away at my standard computer's RAM like a hungry animal. Only my mothers computer is capable of running it. And the control interface is full of bugs.

But the 360 version is fantastic. One of the best games i've ever played.