Macbook issue

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Macbook issue

Post by Mikey »

OK, I've got a weird question: I've been using my wife's "requisitioned" Macbook for some time. Every once in a while, Airport seems to crap the bed; and I have to shut it, reopen it, and reassign the network. It happens even if I don't move. Any ideas?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Macbook issue

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:OK, I've got a weird question: I've been using my wife's "requisitioned" Macbook for some time. Every once in a while, Airport seems to crap the bed; and I have to shut it, reopen it, and reassign the network. It happens even if I don't move. Any ideas?
Are you close the the limit of the range? Is there perhaps another network near by using the same channel? Just idle thoughts. I'm on Airport all the time and haven't had a problem for years.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:
Mikey wrote:OK, I've got a weird question: I've been using my wife's "requisitioned" Macbook for some time. Every once in a while, Airport seems to crap the bed; and I have to shut it, reopen it, and reassign the network. It happens even if I don't move. Any ideas?
Are you close the the limit of the range? Is there perhaps another network near by using the same channel? Just idle thoughts. I'm on Airport all the time and haven't had a problem for years.
I doubt either idea is an issue; we've only got the one machine using the wireless, and one hardwired. The closest neighbors have their nearest outside wall a good 15-20 meters away from my outside wall, and then there's another 5 m of garage between us.

Could it simply be a question of tired hardware? Like I said, I didn't buy this thing; it's on a "loan" from one of the grant programs for which my wife works. Therefore, it's not exactly new, if you get my meaning.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:
I doubt either idea is an issue; we've only got the one machine using the wireless, and one hardwired. The closest neighbors have their nearest outside wall a good 15-20 meters away from my outside wall, and then there's another 5 m of garage between us.

Could it simply be a question of tired hardware? Like I said, I didn't buy this thing; it's on a "loan" from one of the grant programs for which my wife works. Therefore, it's not exactly new, if you get my meaning.
If it's very old then it could be an 802.11b card (as opposed to an 802.11g). b is much slower and has a shorter range, it could be you're on the limit of the range.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yeah, could be. However, having a Macbook in the house for the right price of free makes that an issue I'm willing to deal with.
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:Yeah, could be. However, having a Macbook in the house for the right price of free makes that an issue I'm willing to deal with.
:lol: O good, it's not just me who considers that the right price! Now if I could only convince the people at the stores of that...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."