Deathdealer Gunfighter

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Deathdealer Gunfighter

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The Deathdealer began life as a variant of the Bloodlust class torpfighter, and the similarities between the two are obvious to the
eye the above image. The initial concept was simply for a gun cannon version of the Bloodlust; the basic layout of the Bloodlust
was retained, with the total conversion core at the rear rather than forward. The AMP cannon was housed in a prominent
housing below the main fuselage. The requirement did not include any SST capability, which allowed a significant reduction in the
size of the sensor package. A new smaller rift generator and shortened ZPEX/PCU also freed up space, leading to a reduction
in fuselage size and so making the Deathdealer even smaller and more agile than the Bloodlust. Indeed the fuselage was so
small that the pilot would have to lie almost completely flat.

In the event, it proved impossible to miniaturise the new rift generator sufficiently to fit the new fuselage. TPI had to redesign
the cockpit module for a slightly more upright position to free up space in the nose. Rather than begin design work again almost
from scratch, they put a prominent bulge on the fuselage to create more internal volume.

The original intention was to come up with an entirely new engine pod design, but TPI wanted to complete the design process
as quickly as possible The Bloodlust engines were tried with the new fuselage, but although pilots described the experience
of flying this lash-up as "exhilirating", the TX-120 proved to be too powerful for the smaller fuselage - the craft was
almost impossible for a novice to fly, and even experienced pilots could lose control. TPI compromised by shortening the
midspace shunt, which reduced the problem significantly. Even so, the Deathdealer is still regarded as a difficult craft to fly.

In service the Deathdealers proved successful, especially in the hands of experienced gunfighters. The PV-39 sensor package
was based on the PV-38 Batch 2 of the Bloodlust, which was not without its problems, but although servicability and reliability was
still an issue, the low performance was much less of a problem on a gun fighter than it was on a torp fighter.

The low capability/operating cost made the Deathdealers an attractive option for the cost-cutting which followed the Tain war,
and they remained in service in numbers.

Basic design :

Interior systems :

The cockpit module blasts free :
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Lol Lucky Linda, I think Mikey may just propose to you.

Seeing the internal lay out was very cool and gave a great scale.

One thing I just thought of. Are your humans any different to us after 1000 years in space? Longer arms less powerful heart shorter legs? All the stuff you see in space docos talking about the future.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Some of the fighters are point defence types - small, agile as hell, but short on range. Their job is basically to break up an attack on
their capital ship.

As for Humans, future tech has changed things somewhat. Their version of cosmetic surgery is far in advance of ours, so remodelling
of your body is pretty cheap and easy. Altering such things as height, weight, skin colour is not that hard. There are body fashions much
as there are clothing fashions today - tall is in this year, skinny next year,
long arms the year after, etc. But they don't tend to be all
that extreme - you won't often see somebody make themselves ten feet tall just because it's not very practical or healthy.

Physical shortcomings and defects would be largely unknown. Scars, missing limbs, blindness, etc are pretty much all fixable.
Ditto injuries; the rule of thumb is, if you're alive when you get to a hospital you'll make it and end up looking normal.

All that depending on whether you have the money to afford it, of course. Yes, capitalism survives! The Republic is actually pretty
capitalistic in nature, more so than the US is today.

Of course there is a downside to this, for the military. You can get hacked up pretty badly in combat, and the hospital will patch you
up... and send you back. And then it happens again... and again... and again...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

A very utilitarian, pragmatic design (except for Linda - hooray!) I like the idea of what appears to be sacrificing comfort for both efficiency and cost-cutting, especially since it is "merely" an auxiliary craft.

BTW, is Linda wearing motorcycle chaps? I think maybe we're getting a little insight into the mind of Mr. Kennedy... :wink:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Oh trust me, I'm not sure you'd *want* insight into that portion of my mind...