UCS Wolfsbane

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

UCS Wolfsbane

Post by Graham Kennedy »

First commissioned in 2981, the Wolfsbanes followed what had become the conventional design for Coalition battleships. As with
previous designs, her midspace drive was based on a shunt composed of matterfield material; this technically put her behind the
state of the art, since neutronium-doped matterfield shunts were already beginning to appear in the very high-end civilian market.
But military expenditure was not a very high priority in the Coalition at this point, and this was one of several corners cut from the
Wolfsbane design for cost reasons.

The ship had a top cruise speed of 6.6 kc, a modest increase over the old Idibas class. Lack of neutronium components in her other
systems - primarily weaponry and shielding - also hampered the design.
Even the onset of the Tain war in 2986 did little to improve matters. The Coalition governments greeted the war with a degree of
complacency that is breathtaking in hindsight. It was fully a year into the conflict before the depth of the threat which the Tain
represented became clear.

The production of neutronium was not yet sufficient for an all-neutronium fleet, so the first round of upgrades were neutronium-doped
matterfields. This quadrupled the efficiency of the drive at a stroke, raising the Wolfsbane's speed to 12.6 kc. Similar improvements in
the sensors, weapons and shields followed.

The improved Wolfsbane class and their similarly upgraded comrades managed to hold the line against the Tain, turning a series
of disasterous defeats into a series of successful holding actions.

Later in the war some of the Wolfsbanes were further refitted with full neutronium drive shunts, further increasing their capabilities.
The "super Wolfsbane" class was capable of a maximum sustained cruise of 40 kc, a more than threefold increase over their predecessors.
Although the Kororra class was now beginning to become available, production of the Wolfsbanes continued for the remainder
of the war, largely because they were considerably cheaper and easier to build than the Kororras.

By 2991 the production of Wolfsbanes was being gradually decreased in favour of the Kororras. With the end of the war all Coalition
warship construction was cancelled, and large numbers of vessels were either scrapped or placed into mothballs. When the Mercer
government back in power in 2997 a significant number of these ships were returned to service as a stop-gap until full production
of the Kororra class could be resumed. These ships are now in the process of returning to retirement.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I think you feel into a trek hole. Those windows on the foward section seem to be like 20 meters big.

I presume the fact that the guys in this war didnt murder the coalition that they are close to their level of tech.

Cool to see the pulsar come into play. Is that what the Tain were trying to get at?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:I think you feel into a trek hole. Those windows on the foward section seem to be like 20 meters big.
lol, those "windows on the front" are fighter launch bays mate. :)
I presume the fact that the guys in this war didnt murder the coalition that they are close to their level of tech.

Cool to see the pulsar come into play. Is that what the Tain were trying to get at?
No. It was mostly a misunderstanding, that war. The Tain are a very different race, mentally. No real communication between the two. We
wandered into their territory, they reacted badly to it. We reacted to their reaction, and it all escalated from there.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sounds like the Gorn encounter, but without the willingness to back off.

Are those red lights the midspace drive?

Are you going to put up another comparison chart with this one on, to have a look at it alongside the others?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

lol, those "windows on the front" are fighter launch bays mate.
:shock: Thats quite a few fighters.

What purpose do you invisage these fighters doing? Are they for patrol or combat of capital ships or to fight enemy fighters. They would have to have a decent set of engines since you saud combat is done at a distance of light seconds.

Just realised your targeting scanners must be amazing to hit something light seconds away.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

In numbers, don't be misled; one of the more absurd things in sci-fi IMO is the idea of one launcher per fighter. Just stupid. A modern
US carrier has 4 catapults for 70+ aircraft. Point being, these ships are big enough to fit a LOT of fighters in them, and they do. Don't
be misled because that one "only" has 120 launch tubes.

Fighters come in a variety of types for different roles.

Basically, there are :

Gunfighters : Mount an AMP cannon. Tend to be small, dogfighters.
Torpfighters : Carry usually two or four missiles. A bit bigger than gunfighters, less agile.
Attack craft : Much bigger, much less agile, carry offensive missiles.
Multiroles : Can do two or more of the above.
ARP : Aerospace Recon Platform. Basically finds other ships.

Fighters are not as capable in this verse as they are today... hence the survival of big guns on the cap ships. Only cruisers and above
carry fighters; the basic rule is that even an all out attack by the entire fighter complement of a ship is enough to take down a ship
of the next size down. So a battleship's fighters could take out a battlecruiser, a battlecruiser a cruiser, etc.

But an all-out strike like that isn't an easy thing to do. And it would be costly in fighters; those rows of little cannon are anti-fighter
and anti-torpedo guns. And of course the target has its own fighters to take on the attackers.

If two big ships go mano a mano, the classic battle is that fighter strikes would generally soften the shields up over a day or two of
closing battle; then they'd come into guns range and duke it out on the last attack.

The red lights top and bottom are the matter/antimatter magazines. The ships put their target on the beam, if possible; the magazines
are located so that they aren't visible from the beam. They are on the surface because they can be ejected if required.

Look at the place where the middle decks of the ship would be. The entire back half, there's a rectangle slab of hull there. That's the
midspace drive shunt bay. It occupies that entire block of the ship.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

And on ranges; I said in another post that by this time, the model is basically WW II with 2,000 x c equivalent to 1 knott and therefore
2,000 light hours equivalent to 1 nautical mile. Consider the sorts of ranges weapons had in WW I/II and you'll see what kinds of
distances we are operating over.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I want to see what these ships are fighting against :D
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Alas I haven't really done any alien ships...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah I figured Fighters were pretty much useless but you still have to have them to fight the enemys fighters
which could adventually cause you trouble.

The idea of even 100 fighters doing anything but annoy these ships is laughable.

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'll post the heavy attack craft next.

Incidentally, you will notice as these go up... the Coalition tends to give very over the top names to small craft. No particular reason for that,
it just amuses me. :)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

They'd hardly be the first to continuously one-up themselves when it came to names - Flying Fortress, Superfortress, Stratofortress. Constantly trying to get more impressive names.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

You should give the Tains fight ships names like Tiger lilly or daisy for a nice contrast.

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

lol, like it Teaos. :)

Yeah, people do tend to try and one-up themselves. Coalition fighters tend to go for almost deliberately silly names. Bloodlust...
Psycotic... Massacre... as if they are saying "these aren't cool toys. Don't forget what we build these for."